1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review: German Gefreiter by Stormtrooper's

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Anders Heintz, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Manufacturer: Stormtrooper's
    Kit: German Gefreiter, Stalingrad Winter 1942
    Scale: 120mm
    Sculptor: Stuart Hale
    Buy at: http://www.stormtroopers.co.uk
    Retail Price: $55 / 32 GBP / 48 Euros
    Type of review: Out of the Box

The figure arrived in a nice packaged box with plenty of peanuts to protect the figure during shipping. When I opened the box I found a very stylish and elegant looking dark blue box made out of sturdy textured cardboard. The box has two pictures on it, a front view and back view. This will give you a good idea where everything goes on the figure.
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Manufacturer: Stormtrooper's
    Kit: German Gefreiter, Stalingrad Winter 1942
    Scale: 120mm
    Sculptor: Stuart Hale
    Buy at: http://www.stormtroopers.co.uk
    Retail Price: $55 / 32 GBP / 48 Euros
    Type of review: Out of the Box

The figure arrived in a nice packaged box with plenty of peanuts to protect the figure during shipping. When I opened the box I found a very stylish and elegant looking dark blue box made out of sturdy textured cardboard. The box has two pictures on it, a front view and back view. This will give you a good idea where everything goes on the figure.
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    So whats in the box?

What you get is two bags full of goodies, the parts are cast in white resin and holds a great amount of crisp detail. The figure is devided up into the following:

* Upper torso including head
    * Legs
    * Boots
    * Arms

The pose of the figure is excelent, very nice smooth fluid motion, and very realistically balanced figure, a welcomed change of pace from the usual static poses. A thing I hope to be continued in future releases from Stormtrooper's lines.

There are a few seam lines, but they wont be a problem to remove. The parts are very well sculpted with nice folds, especially on the back of the torso and the arms. There are a couple folds on the front of the coat on the leg section that doesn't look quite right, but thats a very minor issue, and might just be my eyes. The parts fit together very well, and will require just small amounts of putty to make the seams perfect. The fit between the upper and lower body is especially nice as well as the fit of the boots to the legs. Another thing that stands out to me is the thickness (thinness, if thats a word) of the coat and how it is casted as a flowing piece of great coat instead of the usual clump of resin. Well done!
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    So whats in the box?

What you get is two bags full of goodies, the parts are cast in white resin and holds a great amount of crisp detail. The figure is devided up into the following:

* Upper torso including head
    * Legs
    * Boots
    * Arms

The pose of the figure is excelent, very nice smooth fluid motion, and very realistically balanced figure, a welcomed change of pace from the usual static poses. A thing I hope to be continued in future releases from Stormtrooper's lines.

There are a few seam lines, but they wont be a problem to remove. The parts are very well sculpted with nice folds, especially on the back of the torso and the arms. There are a couple folds on the front of the coat on the leg section that doesn't look quite right, but thats a very minor issue, and might just be my eyes. The parts fit together very well, and will require just small amounts of putty to make the seams perfect. The fit between the upper and lower body is especially nice as well as the fit of the boots to the legs. Another thing that stands out to me is the thickness (thinness, if thats a word) of the coat and how it is casted as a flowing piece of great coat instead of the usual clump of resin. Well done!
  5. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    The other bag is a baggie full of nicely done equipment. The fragile parts are put into a cardboard pocket for added protection, which is a really nice touch.
    So what equipment do you get?

You get:

* PPsH with drum magazine and ammo pouch
    * MP 40 with the butt piece seperate and with seperate magazine and ammo pouch
    * Entrenching Tool
    * Canteen
    * Bayonette in a scabbard

All of these accessories are very well done, especially the weapons are very crisply casted with a lot of detail.
  6. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    The other bag is a baggie full of nicely done equipment. The fragile parts are put into a cardboard pocket for added protection, which is a really nice touch.
    So what equipment do you get?

You get:

* PPsH with drum magazine and ammo pouch
    * MP 40 with the butt piece seperate and with seperate magazine and ammo pouch
    * Entrenching Tool
    * Canteen
    * Bayonette in a scabbard

All of these accessories are very well done, especially the weapons are very crisply casted with a lot of detail.
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Conclusion,

This is a very cool figure, not only because its excelent pose, but also because its nicely casted and very well sculpted. On my example I've only found 2 airbubbles, and none of them being major. Parts fit well and requires just small amounts of clean up. Overall a great figure! Highly reccomended.

One thing that is worth mentioning is Stormtroopers excellent costumer service. When I first got this figure, my figure had a lot of airbubbles on it, I informed Stormtroopers about this and they promptly sent me a whole figure as replacement all the way from the UK without charging me a penny. That is what I call excellent costumer service and shows that they back their product 100%.
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Conclusion,

This is a very cool figure, not only because its excelent pose, but also because its nicely casted and very well sculpted. On my example I've only found 2 airbubbles, and none of them being major. Parts fit well and requires just small amounts of clean up. Overall a great figure! Highly reccomended.

One thing that is worth mentioning is Stormtroopers excellent costumer service. When I first got this figure, my figure had a lot of airbubbles on it, I informed Stormtroopers about this and they promptly sent me a whole figure as replacement all the way from the UK without charging me a penny. That is what I call excellent costumer service and shows that they back their product 100%.
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Well, I've got to say that's excellent customer service , but pretty poor quality control, why put something like that in the package in the first place, it should have gone straight in the bin.
  10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Well, I've got to say that's excellent customer service , but pretty poor quality control, why put something like that in the package in the first place, it should have gone straight in the bin.
  11. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Very nice figure (y) The animation is spot-on for an advancing infantryman.Cheers Kenneth.
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Very nice figure (y) The animation is spot-on for an advancing infantryman.Cheers Kenneth.
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Stormtroopers keeps it up.......and they will get me painting WWII Germans again......been alog time since I've seen any with unusual, but realistic poses like this one..........Hats off to Stormtroopers (y)
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Stormtroopers keeps it up.......and they will get me painting WWII Germans again......been alog time since I've seen any with unusual, but realistic poses like this one..........Hats off to Stormtroopers (y)
  15. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Great review! Thanks for the effort you put into it Anders.

-jim cox
  16. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Great review! Thanks for the effort you put into it Anders.

-jim cox
  17. Pete_H New Member

You know what keeps me away from this figure? The price. I saw it at the Chicago show for $55. Sorry, but that's way too much money for this guy. It's a shame, though, because it looks like it would be a fun figure to paint.

What do you guys think - isn't $55 too much?
  18. Pete_H New Member

You know what keeps me away from this figure? The price. I saw it at the Chicago show for $55. Sorry, but that's way too much money for this guy. It's a shame, though, because it looks like it would be a fun figure to paint.

What do you guys think - isn't $55 too much?
  19. LCoote New Member

Australia
    You bet it is, when you can get S&T figures for around $40, and I don't think they compare to John Rosengrant's stuff.
  20. LCoote New Member

Australia
    You bet it is, when you can get S&T figures for around $40, and I don't think they compare to John Rosengrant's stuff.