1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Return from Dunkirk

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by PLG, Jun 1, 2020.

1. PLG Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

It's been a long lock-down, but here in Guernsey things are going reasonable well and starting to return to normal, or at least what may become normal for a while.

The timing is fortunate - I can release my latest bust: an 80th anniversary commemoration of the evacuation form Dunkirk.

Different, because it is three part-busts forming a little vignette. Based on the well known photos it depicts three BEF soldiers leaning out of a railway carriage window, celebrating their safe evacuation.

The bust has 11 resin parts, including the carriage door, as well as as length of brass rode to mount the set.

It is available form my website: https://sarnia-miniatures.co.uk/?product=029-return-from-dunkirk

All comments welcome.

Peter
    Dunkirk product photo.jpg
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'll place an order later this week
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Nice and different
    Steve
  4. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Very different. I'm guessing that it is based on a photograph? Don't usually do WWII, but may have to break stride for this one.
  5. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I think these guys here were the templates for the vignette ...:

[IMG]

Cheers
    Mike - The Kiwi and Nap like this.
  6. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Very innovative idea, Peter - Like the way you've done the details on the railway carriage.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Nice to see this released , and a great tribute

Lots of potential not only in the painting but to add details .....loose epaulette , perhaps convert the left arm and replace the newspaper with a mug of tea or a sandwich .....

This is based on a actual picture of the trio of soldiers but I think the ones in Martins post are the same

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    captnenglish likes this.
  8. Cannonball A Fixture

What a great idea Peter. Love the addition of the piece of train carriage. This is very tempting.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  9. PLG Well-Known Member

Go one Neil - give way to temptation!

Peter
    Nap and Cannonball like this.
  10. polyphemus Well-Known Member

Just a question regarding the classification of second class on railway carriages. Originally there were three classifications but the second class was gradually removed during the 19th century. the Third class designation was replaced by second class in the mid 1950's and coaching stock steadily reliveried.
    Or has my memory completely & utterly failed me!

Geoff
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    In only found original pictures with "1st" and "3rd"...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

And some with none...:

[IMG]

Cheers
  12. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the interesting photos, Martin - the chap with the French carbine is so going to get charged for bringing that home instead of his Lee-Enfield (bet the RSM was really pleased!), & in the other photo collar badges being worn on battledress; I'd always thought this was a distinction which arrived later in WW2, & mostly by cavalry regiments. Previous photos of the BEF tended to show not much insignia being worn on battledress, presumably for security reasons.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Folks

My good vest wearing mate sent me this ...cheers Jimbob

image.jpeg

Nap
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  14. polyphemus Well-Known Member

OK I know its a model railway depicting typical troop movements leading up to D-Day but it does depict typical railway liveries of the WW2 period;

Geoff
    Nap likes this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

Fantastic layout thanks for sharing ...the figures look great in it as well

Wonder if SWMBO wants a railway !

Nap
    polyphemus likes this.
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Here is a picture of a BEF soldier with a special souvenir (Waffen SS steel helmet)...:

[IMG]

Cheers
  17. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Great photo, Martin!
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  18. PLG Well-Known Member

nice photo Martin. Here is an interesting one -spot the similarity. The same soldiers in the carriage but not on the platform, it looks even like thd sandwiches were the same!

I wonder which was the original; with the male or female soldier feeding the evacuees .

Peter
    AC0BAE67-E36F-4D40-B78A-8AFEFB80B7DE.png
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very novel Idea Peter, great idea for a bust/busts.
    Cheers
    Steve
    PLG likes this.
  20. PLG Well-Known Member

Great photo, but I will leave the modelling of it to you!
    Peter
    Nap likes this.