1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Retiring the Optivisor

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Cvikings67, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Cvikings67 Member

United-States
    After 35yrs or so of faithful service, I'm retiring my optivisor. My father used it before me and I carried on the flame. But, after all these years the old boy can't take it anymore. The plastic is so brittle anymore, that I have numerous epoxy, Jb weld, and plastic card joints where it has broken. And this last time It broke and I found 2 more cracks in the plastic. And figured it was time. Thanks for all the years. RIP
    Chris
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    It's always tough to put a good old tool down :(

Maybe memorialize parts of it into some projects ?
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Chris,

My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.

- Steve
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Chris, sorry for your loss. I can feel for your situation as I've recently had to take a small two sided sanding file, one of my most loyal and favorite sanding devices out to a small field and put him down. It was a very tough decision for me, but had to be done. He was flat and lifeless, and the last time I used him, he shed so much sanding material all over the desk, I just couldn't bear to watch him. We had a small, simple funeral in the back yard where we buried him. I made a simple grave marker out of sheet styrene and some parts from the spares bin. Sniffff!

But, if there's a silver lining I would have to admit that they are breeding newer models of Optivisors and other equipment these days that are both as loyal and possibly more ergonomic than the breeds from yesteryear. I'm certain you'll be able to pick out a new companion that will do the job for ya! I know when I go to the hobby store and see that bin full of little Optivisors scurrying around I just nearly can't help but pick one up. You know, if you go next time and pick one up, you probably won't be able to put him down...I bet you go home with one! Good luck, time heals all wounds.

Jay H.
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    My way of coping with a sad loss, is very much like falling from a horse. The sooner you get back on the better. If you'll excuse the pun. "Look" back on the good times you had together.
    You're in my thoughts,
    Carl.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I had the same feeling yesterday with my 5 year old Windsor & Newton serie 7 brushes.
    But lucky me, i had some spare.
  7. Cvikings67 Member

United-States
    Thanks guys for helping cope with my loss.
    Chris
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Chris, I know how you feel. I have had my trusty optivisor for many years and I dropped it on the floor the other day and one lens is now cracked from top to bottom. I am getting used to seeing through the crack though. Theres plenty of life in the old gal yet!
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That your wife talking Gordy?