1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Retiarius (gladiator) by Fields of Glory (Military Miniature)

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Fields of Glory (MM), Mar 5, 2023.

1. Gladiator - Retiarius
    Middle of the first century A.D.
    Fields of Glory (Military Miniature)
    Scale 54mm/75mm (scale 1:24); 3D printing

Hi guys. This is our first model, don't judge it too harshly. This is a 54mm/75mm model of a Retiarius gladiator. So far we are doing only 3D printing, there is an example print, but we will do printing on a different 3D printer and a different material.
    I hope you like it, and if not, your comments will be just as valuable.

P.S.: Many thanks for the help and advice to the reenactors from Legio IX Hispana.

Retiarius_Render_Camera_3_4.png Retiarius_Render_Camera_Bottom.png Retiarius_Render_Camera_Front.png Retiarius_Render_Camera_Left.png Retiarius_Render_Camera_Right.png Retiarius_Render_Camera_Top.png
    Pavel Raf, Nicolaos, Tom W. and 15 others like this.
  2. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Can't speak as to historical accuracy, but really like this, particularly the different defined textures and surfaces.
    Oda and Pabloscobar like this.
  3. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That looks excellent to me.
    Gary
    Oda likes this.
  4. Pabloscobar New Member

His net in hand looks great, I like the folds on the fabric and its material texture. Would like to see it printed
    Oda likes this.
  5. newtonk Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Ok, I'm expecting some royalty payments from this as he is clearly modelled on me... Cut abs, pecs, calfs. Not to mention, good looking, too.
    Redcap, Blind Pew and sd0324 like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    That certainly looks a great start , nice textures on him and details , possibly visually the net looks a little thick

Wish I had your skill with 3D

Look forward to seeing more

This will certainly paint up well

Surely you mean me ! ...LOL

Nap
    Pabloscobar and Oda like this.
  7. Oda A Fixture

This looks splendid.An extremely promising start.

Oda.
  8. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    Very nice miniature!

For those of you, who want some more background, here are two quick links to the Berlin-based gladiator re-enactment group "Gladiatores Berolinenses" about
    - the net and
    - the equipment of a retiarius.

And then there is, of course, the impressive study by Marcus Junkelmann "Gladiatoren. Das Spiel mit dem Tod" on all things gladiators (an English review here)

...and I found this nice youtube video:

Cheers
    Karl
  9. Pabloscobar New Member

As I understood from the video and the image of the net, the miniature accurately depicts the retiarius. There is also a clarification that this is the middle of the first century. As far as I know, then there was no metal or leather protection on the hands of gladiators
  10. Leather and iron manikins appeared later than the middle of the 1st century AD, if i'm not mistaken. We used Osprey, Warrior # 039 - Gladiators 100 BC-AD 200 to create our character. A description of the retiarius can be found on page 31. If I could show our character to Mr. Marcus Junkelmann - I would.

9781841762999_1.jpg 9781841762999_2.jpg
    Oda likes this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is an excellent release, without doubt.
    Oda likes this.
  12. David Spencer A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I really like this. It's a nice pose and looks well sculpted.
    If cast well, I would buy this in 54mm.
    Pabloscobar likes this.
  13. In the near future we plan to print this figure in the size of 75/54/40 mm. Once we print it, we'll post a picture of what it looks like.
    Nap, Redcap, Pabloscobar and 2 others like this.
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Is there any webshop or FB account...?

Cheers
    Pabloscobar likes this.
  15. We don't have our own website yet. We plan to open a FB page in the coming weeks. We will post a list of gladiators we plan to make in the near future.
  16. Pabloscobar New Member

I also think so, it would be great if there are more figures, then collect a diorama of the battle of gladiators
    Nap likes this.
  17. We will tell you about our future plans for the figures shortly.
    Nap likes this.
  18. Hi all! Here's our little graphic announcement of the miniatures we're currently working on... See the picture. set1-mini.jpg
    Pabloscobar and Dr Bison like this.
  19. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
  20. Pabloscobar New Member

If the planned figures are with the same detail, it will be an amazing collection