1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Restoring magic sculp?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Vermis, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Vermis Member

United-Kingdom
    Some while ago I bought packs of magic sculp and cold clay (similar product) from the same supplier, packaged in plastic flip-lid pots. This kind. But within a couple of weeks the resin of each putty had dried out into hard, unusable lumps. Bit of a surprise, since I've kept small amounts of apoxie sculpt in the same kind of tubs, for years.

I contacted the suppliers for advice and got no reply. I've also gathered that crystallisation is or was an occassional problem with magic sculp, but is there any way to 'fix' it after the fact, or do I write it off? And how to prevent it in the future?
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    You should be able to microwave it a bit and revitalize it. Do some digging round on the sculpting threads and you'll find where someone has been faced with this before. It happened to me a long time ago and microwaving it worked fine. I just can't remember how long to put it in for.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    You can indeed restore it into the Microwave.
    400 W on 30 sec will do the work.

marc
  4. Vermis Member

United-Kingdom
    Wouldn't have occured to me at all. I was thinking of some kind of solvent. But thanks! I'll give it a go.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    not sure if microwaving epoxy putty is a good idea if you intend to microwave food in the microwave,especially if you have children, maybe heat the putty under a hot lamp instead.

Steve
  6. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi,
    I have after some time I found nearly all epoxy puttys go this way,my old mate Roy Hunt always said heat was the only way to get it any ware near usable again,I've used hair dryer,heat gun for paint stripping,microwave and the oven. microwave is best but do let it stand!
    If health reasons are to be considered,the heat gun wins....
    Good Luck.
    Best Regards
    Paul
  7. Vermis Member

United-Kingdom
    I get worried about a lot of health scares myself, but if I didn't hold my breath and jump in I probably wouldn't set foot outside the door. :D And it's hard to get your hands on a hot bulb these days. These new energy savers are great for the environment, not so hot for curing putty.

Puns not intended. Probably.

But I steered away from the microwave and put the resin in a warm oven for a few minutes. (after baking polymer clay in it, with the health scares circling that stuff, putty holds no fear) Worked a treat! Thanks all.
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I have a dedicated crockpot for modeling that I use to restore epoxy. Works fine.
  9. Einion Well-Known Member

It is best to be cautious (and I think I'm remembering correctly that one of the makers says not to microwave their product) but if one is going to microwave anyway covered with Cling Film/Glad I can't imagine would be much of a problem.

If the container allows you could just sit it in hot water for a few minutes, will heat right through without any problem.

Out of curiosity Bob, have you had this problem with MagicSculp much? I've only found small lumps a handful of times, didn't think it was common given MS's reputation for a good shelf life.

Einion
  10. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I haven't used MS in a couple of years. I use almost exclusively Apoxie and Kneadatite. It is not that the Aves clumps but just gets harder after awhile and the crock pot softens it up to use. Once softened it is like new.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I run into this problem periodically and restore the darker more crystalline tub of the MS in a standard oven at a low temperature of about 150 degree F for about 15 mins. Make sure you put it on a disposable plate (foil or TV dinner as it will adhere as it is restored and it softens).

I have never had a problem with the white side solidifying. Nor had I heard about the Microwave option.

I think I will stick with my approach.

Colin