1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rencontre de patrouilleurs, 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This is my first 'action' piece and it was a lot of fun! For those of you who don't remember, it is based on a Georges Scott illustration of the same name. The french title translates roughly to 'Encounter on a patrol' or something like that.

There's still quite a lot of cleaning to do on this vignette, but I think I'm otherwise finished. I need to cover a bit more of the figures and rifles with mud also.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is also the first time I used several colors of putty resulting in the ridiculous harlequin look, but I found that the different colors allowed me to see what I was doing a little more easily. It was helpful and I'll probably continue the practice.

Your comments and honest critique, as always, are invited.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    I still like this piece. Great action and drama. I see a couple things I wanted to point out. Please stop me if they are things you are not quite done with. The right forearm on the Frenchmen (I hope that's right) looks too long. I also think the folds on that arm need some work.

I am a firm beliver that hands convey nearly as much drama as a face can. With that said, I think the left hand of the Frenchman should have a firm grip on the German's clothes in back. It also feels like the German's hands should likewise be grabbing his attackers clothing in desperation. Both of which would not only lend more desperation and intensity to the pose, I think it would be a great opportunity for more dramatic folds in the clothing where they are gripping. I think it would lend more urgency to the piece.

Great stuff! Keep it up. Can't wait to see this one finished up!

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very good suggestions, Jay!

I'm happy to report that the R and L forearms of the French figure are both 23 mm from elbow to wrist, so it's the photos or something. Whew! You had me worried for a second there.

I think I'll go back and alter the hands so that they grip the clothing - that's a good idea and easily done. The folds on the right arm - I'll see what I can do to improve them.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, I think any/all of the suggestions would add to the drama of your vignette. The physical struggle between the figures reminds me of Marijn's vignette with the Frenchmen fighting over the gasmask.~Gary
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary! I'm flattered by the comparison! I have the greatest respect and admiration for Marijn's work. I'm working on all of Jay's suggestions.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan

Again another great work on WWI from your hands.

Marc
  7. georges64 Member

France
    Great stuff Dan !! I like it very much.I will follow your topic with more interest .
    regards,georges
  8. georges64 Member

France
    Can you resize the pictures,better for viewing ;)
    thanks,georges
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks very much Georges and Marc! Georges - I resized the photos. I suppose it's a matter of taste. I rather liked the large size ones.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    All the best,
    Dan
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thought you might like to know the equipment in this vignette.

Rencontre de patrouilleurs, 1916
    120mm or 1/15th scale

French Colonial soldier, unknown unit
    •Blanket worn bandolier fashion (Barda Senegalais) – encloses soldiers personal effects and worn everywhere
    •Moutarde khaki vareuse M1914/1915 with yellow rank and unit insignia on collar and sleeves, yellow anchor on collar (covered by blanket and upturned collar). Vareuse is torn and frayed.
    •‘Culottes russes’’[trousers] moutarde khaki modele M1915 with light yellow piping on both outside leg seams
    •Musette bag in beige canvas reinforced with leather, contains spare magazines
    •Moutarde khaki felt covered aluminum water bottle
    •Gas mask exposed (assault position), metal container has been dropped or discarded
    •8 mm Lebel rifle
    •black leather ammunition pouches
    •M1915 helmet with light fabric cover

German, 207th Prussian infantry division, Reserve Infantry Regiment 209 – green tab on outside of epaulettes, red piping on epaulettes and uniform
    •M1898 Mauser Gewehr 7.92 mm rifle
    •M1915 tunic or feldbluse
    •M1907 canteen
    •M1866 infantry boots
    •M1887 Brotbeutel (bread bag)
    •M1895 belt and M1909 Patronentaschen, leather ammunition pouches
    •M1898/05 Seitengewehr, bayonet with leather and metal cover hung from belt, with white and yellow band troddel
    •Stahlhelm
    •Gas mask carrier

The parts I used came from:
    Base - Model Cellar; Heads, hands, German torso , German boots, Mauser rifle, Lebel rifle, German equipment – all Verlinden; French torso, legs and boots – Testors (Jimmy Flintstone)

Based on an illustration by Georges Scott, 1916.