1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Rencontre de patrouilleurs, 1916

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    A more or less direct translation of "rencontre de patrouilleurs" would be "the encounter of the patrol boats", but I don't think that's what the famous French illustrator, Georges Scott, had in mind. Probably more like "An encounter during a patrol". My French is shaky at best, and I suspect there is some idiom thrown in there, so if anybody else can give me a better translation - let me know.

Anyway, I'm taking a vacation from the E. V. Ball figures, because the piping on the Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery is driving me @!%^&* nutz!
    [IMG]
    I saw this illustration on the Great War Different web site and knew immediately I could do a small vignette with it. Haven't got much beyond the armatures and a little bracing. This one will involve some kitbashing so - the sources before I go any further.
    German - Verlinden head, torso, boots, rifle, equipment (not shown yet), Jon Smith excellent stahlhelm!
    Frenchman - Verlinden head and rifle, Jimmy Flintstone torso, boots, parts of legs
    Base - Can't honestly remember! Model Cellar?
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    I started with both heads, modified both and I still have more to do. Then I cut into the French torso and re-worked the legs, pinned them, etc. The German, mostly because of the falling pose, requires some careful sculpting and I'm sure I'm going to need to check the fit about 50 times. Most of the pics show lots of putty holding parts together temporarily, so that should give you a hint how fragile the assembly is so far. Note the falling stahlhelm. I intend that to be rolling off the German soldier's neck. Note also the falling rifles. In the Scott illustration only the Mauser is shown, so a little artistic license was taken. The ground of the Scott illustration is nothing like the base of this vignette.

Honest, blunt and constructive critique and comments, as always, very welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Jacek Spychalski Member

Poland
    Hi Dan ,
    looks great at this stage. Very dynamic and hard to sculp scene .
    Im waiting for next step !

All the best

Jacek
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jacek! Yes, it represents a challenge! Fun! ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Dan,

very interesting subject !!! I think this will be a szene loaded with dynamic and dramatic !!!
    It lookks like you have to do some hard works the next time...

I´m looking forward to your next steps.

Cheers,
    Markus
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marcus! We'll give it the old college try anyway!

All the best,
    Dan
  6. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Dan
    Coming on great. It is a complicated sculpt. You certainly don't go for the easy life ;).
    Pete
  7. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan

very interesting picture and I think, like Markus, a dynamic and dramatic scene.

Wait to see more.

Because you use parts from verlinden and Jon Smith it would be 120mm?

And you could translate "recontre" as "single combat" or "accidental" or "sudden encounter"

Ulrich
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Pete and Ulrich -

Thanks fellas! Pete - why do easy stuff? Gotta stretch yourself! Ulrich - "Sudden Encounter"? Yeah, I like that!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    great action in this one! Can't wait to see it come together!

Jay H.
    OKC
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, I love the animation in that piece. Take your time, especially roughing in filling the what you have of the armatures. I'll be watching. :) ~Gary
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jay and Gary! Somebody asked earlier if it was in 120mm and the answer is "What else?" :lol:

All the best,
    Dan
  12. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    dan excellent animation I look forward to progress reports.
  13. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Dan excellent start, cannot wait to see the finished product!!!!!
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Peter and Periklis - Many thanks, guys! ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    That's a great pic Dan...I can understand your enthusiasm to make it into a vignette.
    The interaction of the figures is gonna be so important...don't freeze those joints 'till you absolutely convinced they work.. ;)

I'll be looking forward very much to see how you get on...at least there's no a half mile of braiding to mess your mind up..!!.. :lol:

All the best with the putty...Roy.
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roy - After I finish the piping on Mr. Ball, I think I shall go sit in a closet for awhile. Somewhere nice and dark and cool... :lol:

Glad you like my little "vacation". Last night I worked on it until the wee hours and I think I've got all but maybe one joint exactly where I want it. The figures are well pinned, very secure in their leaning position. Lots of extra putty and one very thick pin at an appropriate place. I have the remains of the French hand nicely placed on the German figure's throat. Will need to go back and sculpt on fingers to that hand. Today I'm going to work on the faces/heads a bit. Maybe sculpt the sleeves/arms also.

All the best,
    Dan
  17. Dani A. New Member

Hi Dan,

You have guessed correctly - patrouilleurs has more than one meaning in French, one being the maritime word, but there is another which indeed can be translated as "men in patrol" : pickets or scouts.

This looks like an ambitious project! You are up to a good start.

Regards,

Daniel
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Daniel. Glad you have your PC, etc. back up and working! And glad to send you the French cavalry equipment images.

All the best,
    Dan
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

Sorry i drop by so late. But i was on vacation. I find this vignette a great start with two figures that have alot of action in it.
    It wouldt be great.

Marc
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marc! Glad to see you're back! Since I posted the original photos, I have finished quite a lot of the vignette. Both heads, including a small pin and the German stahlhelm falling off, part of one leg of the German soldier, etc., etc. So it's coming along nicely.

All the best,
    Dan