1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Relaxed Cavalryman pose

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dan Morton, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The photo attached is of an Imperial Russian cavalryman reenactor sitting astride the saddle. My best guess is that the left leg is slightly below the edge of the saddle and the right is just below or inside the bottom of the saddle, allowing the rider to lean forward and maintain his balance. Sound about right?

I'm trying to apply more or less this pose to a French Colonial Chasseurs d'Afrique ca. 1914, but encountering difficulty making it look realistic.

Horsemen, former Cavalrymen and much more experienced model-makers than myself---Any tips?

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Wings5797 likes this.
  2. Andreas K. Member

Germany
    looks cool , i have done an Indian in a Pose almost like this in 1/72 , 20mm some Years ago .
    Regards
    Andreas
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Just to help everyone visualize the pose. See attached.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

Wings5797 likes this.
  4. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan

Nice Idea!

I sculpted a Don Cossack in a similar pose years ago.

If you are interested I can take a pic and load it up here...

Cheers
  5. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    His legs are crossed, with HIS left leg riding over the right one.
  6. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan!

You have to know your horse very well to sit like the Cossack on your Picture!

It does not work in the field, because if you're stunned by an enemy, you can not react fast enough - and you're shot (or sacked) before you can steer and ride your legs right and left at the horse .

More realistic is this pose:

One leg stays in or near the stirrup. The other one is crossed over. You take this pose to relieve the butt.

So you can react quickly - and that's how I sculpted my Don Cossacks at that time ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I have often taken this pose myself, as I have always ridden strange horses, and always had to reckon that they are afraid!

As said, it's been 18 years since I made these figures. Concerning painting I was still a bloody beginner ...

Cheers
    MCPWilk likes this.
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Martin! From your pose I can see at least one simple change I should make that would improve it. I have already put one boot in a loose stirrup for the same reason you did.

But I'm not sure you'll be happy with my final pose. We'll see...

Regarding the painting...I'm a basic learner. Never painted many of my figures, but I'm starting...

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    I'm curious, Dan!

Cheers