1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Reinhard Tristan Eugen Heydrich

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by scipion94, Dec 12, 2011.

1. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely hi-jacked thread!

Origin?

threadjack v. thread-jack (n. and v.), threadjacker [ < thread and hijack.

To move a thread away from the original topic by bringing up another, which may or may not have any relation or bearing to the original. Example: "The thread was about apples, and you begin talking about oranges. Soon everyone else begins talking about oranges. You threadjacked this
    ."
    Richie and housecarl like this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I wasn't going to comment, as everyone is having so much fun. I alway thought it was a decent sculpt, along with the rest of the ghouls that make up the series. But hey, what do I know?:rolleyes: The painting is well done, as for the star, a tad insensitive perhaps.:(
    Carl.
  3. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    If it was a similarly badly sculpted Tom-of-Finland type showing a big red star displayed in a similar insulting context ? Sure.

How would you feel about a figure of, say, an Argentinian soldier shouting "Malvinas Argentinas !" and trampling the Union Jack ?

My point is : it's my personal opinion that I should not try to incorporate such "messages" in the displaying of the miniatures that I paint. I think a miniature figure of a person should be more something "introspective", I mean, I try to look "in" to a figure of a personality, what kind of a man was he really ? .. Instead of using the miniature to put out negative "messages" towards certain "groups" of people.
  4. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Got to say guys , this little melee brightened up another very wet horrible stormy dreich night in Scotland.

There are a great many SS figures on the market I suppose what makes them so popular are the uniforms, not as symbols but they did look smart even on Herr Flick in allo allo, but not going to get into the rights or wrongs here it
    is up to the individual to pick his subject matter, you could pick holes in just about every army through the ages.

Ron
    Richie and Steve Riley like this.
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    You're absolutely right about that, the uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss the well known fashion designer. The success of Nazism was all about propaganda and keeping up appearances, they were exceptionally good at that. Good looks was part of the propaganda and the lies. It's fascinating how they could make a whole people swallow and believe their crap - fe. no German ever had a VW Beetle, and there was no Autobahn where the Beetles rode unless a stretch of road near the Wolfsburg factory. They showed images of mobile Panzer Divisionen to the people but a large part of their army still used horse drawn carts. And so on ...

Enjoy your rainy evening there in Scotland ! (y)
  6. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Who is this "Tom-Of-Finland" bloke you keep banging on about? Have to say I've never heard of him. :confused:

And "insulting context"? There goes that jerking knee again Johan! Once again you're making assumptions as to the motive behind the piece. For all you know it could be an attempt by the painter/client to symbolise the inhumanity of Heydrich and the Nazi regime. A "shock piece", if you will. Like the ones I saw in Rastatt back in the 80s. We just don't know either way. So without knowing, we shouldn't pass judgement.

Honestly? It isn't something I'd lose any sleep over.

So Heydrich playing the violin would be OK then? (He was a talented violinist apparently).

- Steve
  7. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    and also the talented architect of the plan for the deportation and transporting of 11 million Jews from every country in Europe to be worked to death or killed outright in concentration camps : see his role at the infamous Wannsee conference on that matter.

Steve, I propose to continue this discussion via personal message, if you wish to continue it. This forum is not for history lessons.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Common knowledge. I think we all know that already.

But you still haven't told us who Tom-Of-Finland is ... :confused:

- Steve
  9. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    according to some sources, Heydrich was also the arch type of what is usually depicted by the Finnish illustrator "Tom-of-Finland". Do a google on Tom of Finland if you want to find out.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Okay Johann, duly googled ....

"The legendary homoerotic works of Tom of Finland have become iconic stereotypes of masculine gay men ..."

.... and I'll take your word for it :cool:.

- Steve
  11. Clarence1 Member

Canada
    Wow, all that discussion for a painted figure!!!:notworthy:
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Totally agree and it looks nowt like Anton Diffring!:whistle::whistle:sorry monkey hanger humour could not resist;)
  13. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Pedro

Bringing the thread back to its origins I only can say that you did an extremely good job on the black colour of the uniform with the subtle highlighting and shading.

And after some hesitation I can only add that I wished that everyone would invest their time in trying to paint as good as you instead of boring us to death with political correct crap which is completely out of place here.

My two cents...

Johan
    Meehan34 likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    And that is why you are in charge ! A picture that says everything.

BTW - my two cents is that the base is too much but probably not mean spirited and the figure looks nothing like Heydrich (thankfully as the real guy was way scarier).

Colin