1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Reference Needed, Fiw Highlander

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Anders Heintz, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Im trying to collect some reference regarding the 77th Highlanders in the French & Indian War. I really dont know anything about this time period and Im about to start on a figure from this time period and need as much reference as possible. Preferrably on the internet. Especially on uniforms, headgear (the berret type) bags and shoes. Here is an image of the uniforms Im talking about. Appreciate any help!

[IMG]
  2. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Anders, here's a link to the Scotish military historical society, there is a small section on Scotish regiments in North America, however there isn't much on uniforms and equipment.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~james.mckay/journal.htm#index

Griffing's artwork should be a good reference in itself.

Osprey have a couple of books on the French- Indian war and 18th century Highlanders, I don't have either of these so I can't say what use they would be to you.

By the way what scale is your figure going to be ?
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the link! The scale will be 54mm.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anders, Give me a few days to either post something (I'm swamped at work) here or e-mail you. I have quite a bit of info on the subject that may be useful.~Gary
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    G'mornin Anders,
    There is a musuem in Vermont that has a tremendpus amount of exhibits and references on the French & Indian War. I'll see if they have a website and inquire.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys I need some help here. I have a lot of info for Anders for this project. The problem is with the limit on the file size of pictures will in all likelyhood leave a lot of the images small. How can I go about posting them where the quality is good as well as the size? If you could give a "how to for dummies" explanation as I really do not know all the ins and outs yet. I could e-mail him the info but feel there is enough interest out there where others could also benefit from it being put out.~Gary
  7. John Long Active Member

United-States
    What about creating a Yahoo! or Webshots folder and posting a link?
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, I did check it out and the one thing I'm worried a bit about is copyright infringement as some of the materials come from books.~Gary
  9. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary,

Can you put them in a .zip file? (or several) they can be posted, and folks could download them. Just a thought.

If you'd rather post actual pictures you'll have to decrease the file quality rather than the actual image/pixel size, when you save an image as a .jpg file, you should see somewhere in the box that comes up to put the file name in, an option to decrease the file size? try playing about with the settings 'til you can get them under 50k (don't forget that an open jpg will appear to have a larger file size than a closed one!)

Simon
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for the willingness to help!

Gary, Im looking forward to your material. You can email me the bigger stuff if you want, but I agree that it would be great to have as a reference for everybody. Im not quite sure how to go about doing it though. The zip file sounds like a pretty good idea.
  11. Staffan Blomqvist New Member

I've been working with Photoshop training a couple of years and if there is interest I could put together a small tutorial on how to optimize pictures for web publication. I already have most of the material, it's just a question of translating it and polishing it a bit.

Cheers!

/staffan
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tjena Staffan!

That would be most appreciated for us with limited picture editing skills!!
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I think it would help alot of us in using Photoshop. I would appreciate your time and effort. Staffan.

Guy
  14. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Gary, I would love to see the info that you have, hope you can post it somehow :)
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, If you'd like send me an e-mail and I'll send it out with Ander's stuff when it's ready. I'm just worried that the pics will be too small to get any use from.~Gary
  16. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    that's precisely why people wont even try to optimize images, they are afraid that it would be too small (physical size) or loss of "quality".

A) People need to understand that "print" quality and "monitor" quality are worlds apart.

B) Bigger is NOT always better - you can save a BMP image at over a 1 megabyte and have less image qualtiy than an optimized 30KB jpeg.

C) Crop all dead space, many images have acres of extraneous background or if the focal point is off-centered.

Gary, for starters to help you we need to know what imaging software do you have?
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gordy, It's an HP imaging program. If you can tell me what settings to plug in to the image (I'm sure most programs contain the same things) I'll post something to see how it works.~Gary
  18. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary,

I sent you a PM this morning that may help you!

Simon
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the haversack I would give your figure. The measurements are roughlt 13 1/2" X 15" and is made of linen. It is secured with three pewter buttons, I'm not quite sure about the one in Griffing's painting, so It's up to you. The color could be an unbleached linen, which is a very washed out light beige to white.~Gary
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The picture is just too small.~Gary