1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  1. tonphil1960 New Member

Hi Newb here. What kind and where can I get ref. books on both Nepoleonic and Middle Age knights? I have been painting quite a while figs to go with my armor but now want to get into fig painting pretty much 100%. I know of the Osprey books, are there any others recommended? Also fig. magazines, which one???

Thanks Tony
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    A nice figure magazines are Historical Miniature Figures, Figure Magazine, Kit figures (german language).
    For me the first is the best, but not for sale here in holland and also not in belgium.
    So i get mine from Collorado Miniature's and buy them four at the time.

Marc
  3. Guayo New Member

Welcome Tony,

For the Napoleonic War you would not find any problem, I made a small list some years ago it need to be update but you can still find most of this books;

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listm...4838123-5502560

Weapons & Equipment of the Napoleonic Wars by Philip J. Haythornthwaite,Arm and Armor, (ISBN:1854094955) old but still a important.

The french Store "Livre chez vous" have many color plates that are hard to find in the US and some special titles from the Tradition Magazine, www.livrechezvous.com

The famous color plates L’Armée française Premier Empire by Lucien Rousselot.

There is a series of Books that you have to get your hands on it,
    Les uniformes du Premier Empire, Cdt Bucquoy ,Jacques Grancher Editeur.(ISBN: dont have one?), ten volumes, you could find some used copies,highly recommended.

Amazon has many used copies in good condition, recently I pick up "Wellington's Army Recreated in Colour Photographs" By Neil Leonard, I found it in $5.73 (76% discount) I'm not much of a British Uniform guy but with that price is a nice addition to anyone interesting in the Napoleonic Wars.

[IMG]
  4. Guayo New Member

For the Medieval period is a never ending quest :lol: , you would always have to update your library,

An Historical Guide to Arms & Armor by Stephen Bull.
    (ISBN:0816026203)

Medieval Costume, Armour, and Weapons by Eduard Wagner, Zoroslava Drobna, Jan Durdik. (ISBN: 0486412407)

The Crusades by Yli Remo Vallejo and the illustration of the russian artist Igor Dzis is a nice book, may be not the best historical reference but you could get many ideas here. (ISBN:0972529802)

Medieval Military Costume (Europa Militaria Special,8) by Gerry Embleton
    (ISBN: 1861263716) this is a small book but great in content, its full of color photos and some color plates of the author with many amazing details of the everyday costume of the medieval soldier, up to the 16th Century.

The Samurai: Recreated in Colour Photographs (Europa Militaria Special, 14)
    by Mitsuo Kure(ISBN: 186126335X)

[IMG]

For a great bibliography look for the new Medieval Forum of Agustin Rodriguez, is call "El Passo Honroso"

Best Wishes
    Eduardo
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks for the info Gray.
    I must look for the last number i have.

Marc