1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Reenactor 2005: Heritogo Beroharti

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by sonnenteich, Mar 3, 2006.

1. sonnenteich Member

Germany
    Hello,
    next project. Sure you know this little gem.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Regards
    Frank
  2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    I like him Frank. Nice work on the skin cloak and metals.

Xenofon
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Frank.

well done.

marc
  4. pmacko Member

Hi Frank,

Is that a Coke can at his feet? Nice FARBY touch there.
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Frank, What a neat idea, painting a figure to represent a reenactor. Well done.~Gary
  6. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Well done. He's gotta be in the SCA...... :lol:
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Paul, Are you a reenactor? The only figure painters I know that are familiar with such terminology are/were reenactors.~Gary
  8. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    My god Gary, it's been years since I've heard the term "farby"!!!!! Brings
    back memories

:lol:
  9. pmacko Member

Hi Gary,

Far be it from me to give up my secrets but yes...I am a reenactor. I am a member of the 60th Royal American Regiment for the French and Indian War, and I also belong to a World War One German unit. Both are great fun. Thats where I first heard the term 'Farb'. I'm more active in the World War One activity lately.
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Yeah it does.

Paul, Cool. I'm in the process of getting back into it.~Gary
  11. renarts Active Member

United-States
    We heard it so much that its one of the banned words with our unit. :lol:
    18thc. British Navy. HMS Falcon based out of St. Augustine.
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mike, It is a bit overused. How many lashes does it earn you? I bet one of the other banned words is ARRGH! :) ~Gary
  13. pmacko Member

I agree it gets overused a bit, but sometimes it's just so....so....so suitable. :lol:
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    VERY NICE,Frank (y) (y) !!!! BTW,pardon my ignorance,but what does "FARBY" stand for anyway ? Just curious to know. Cheers !
    Kenneth (NOT a re-enactor ;) !)
  15. renarts Active Member

United-States
    That one will get you pressed...... ;)

Our packaged response when we walk through the streets and someone spouts, "Look, pirates!" is "Nah, not pirates lad. We hang pirates...." :)
  16. renarts Active Member

United-States
    I was brought in to the terminology when I started doing medieval re-enactment. Since then I've heard it in a few medieval groups, some English Civil War groups, Rev War, Civil War, Seminole war and WW1 and WW2.

I guess this would explain it best:
    This is a jargon word of those groups of enthusiasts who go from place to place re-enacting historic battles. It’s American in origin, but is becoming known in other countries. Re-enactors are deadly serious about getting the details of uniform and equipment correct. They are dismissive of the people they call farbs who come for the fun but who don’t make the effort to get things absolutely right, the sort of people who will mix up items of uniform or carry a mobile phone or wear sunglasses.
    The term dates from the 1960s; an explanation for its origin was given in July 1986 in a re-enactors’ magazine, the Camp Chase Gazette, in which an early group leader, George Gorman, was said to have formed it from the beginning of “Far be it from me to criticise inauthentic uniforms ...”.
    But the memories of early re-enactors asserts that the word instead derives from German farbe, colour, because inauthentic re-enactors are over-colourful compared with the dull blues, greys or browns of the real Civil War uniforms that are the principal concern of American re-enactors. The word was coined by Gerry Rolph, a German teacher who led one of the early bands. The adjective farby is also known and may indeed have been the original form.
  17. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    This particular figure is a reenactor. As I was told the story, in reality, he is a policeman in Bern Switzerland. All of his acccoutrements are based on actual relics from museums from the time period. No FARBY this guy.