1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

.... reeaaaaallly off topic

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by marvin, Jan 6, 2006.

1. marvin Member

Netherlands
    Hey guys,

I need some perspectives other than my own on something. This is more than somewhat off-topic, but I've seen some of the best base-work here and I feel most comfortable asking here. If I'm out of line please tell me and ignore the post.

I'm making a Star Wars model on a small base and I need to know what people think of.... how am I going to put this.... 'groundwork boundaries' on a base. Let me illustrate.

This is what I'm making:

[IMG]

This what I've got so far on the base-work (model completed but not shown):

[IMG]

I've sculpted the mountain range as a complete form, making it out of scale. I've seen other examples where the mountain range is made to look in scale by cutting it off sharply where the base ends. Like here:

[IMG]

But then I ask myself which colour the flat sides should be painted (it is rock you're disecting here, but brown/black seems to distract from the 'main' base colour white.

I'm really interested in your points of view. I've seen examples of both approaches on figure bases so if discussing it in those terms makes it more acceptable for this forum please do so. Thanks everybody !

- Marvin -
    (whose newyear resolution is to stop lurking and participate darn-it!)
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Marvin, I would think if the sides were a much darker color, especially black it would be a distraction for the viewer and take something away from the model. I would probably leave it white.~Gary
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    That is very cool, I love Sci-FI subjects.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc :)
  4. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I think if it were me I would use a very light blue. This would delineate the groundwork from the border. It would also keep the very cold look you want to depict. Usually I paint this type of thing black, but you kind of have a special circumstance here.
  5. marvin Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for the quick response guys. I gather you three would go for the sharp boundary versus the more organic border I currently have? Like I said I've seen figure bases with the organic bordering, sharp boundaries (often with figures in WW1 trenches for instance) and even base work spilling over the base itself.

I'm still not sure which I like better in general but in this instance I'm leaning towards the sharp borders.

- Marvin -
  6. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

I think you're better off with the sharp deliniation as well. It says, "The base ends here but the scene goes on." Your "organic" edge would imply that was the totality of the rock.
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Marvin,

I agree with Al. The sharp border acts as a frame (in the case of a 2-D picture) and would imply that the rock is extending beyond the confines of the scenery.

Also to emphasise the 'freezing' aspect of the subject, I'd suggest to use a clear acrylic/plexiglas pane as a base.

HTH

Quang :)
  8. marvin Member

Netherlands
    Al, Quang,

That was what I was thinking (although not putting it so elequently). Thanks for your points of view. I'll show you how it ended up looking in a short while. Thanks !

- Marvin -