1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

RedGrass R9 lamp

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by MalcC, Oct 11, 2023.

1. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Nap asked to post some details on the new Redgrass R9 lamp.
    NigelR posted some info on it earlier and after seeing I knew it would be a great addition to my bench,
    as my current lamp wasn't suitable.

It's not cheap, but for me its been a good investment.
    1000015594.jpg 1000015595.jpg
    Please click on the thumbnails for a larger image.

As you can see it lights up my whole bench. The two blades have a total of 96 led lights,
    and are adjustable as are the lights themselves.
    There's no flicker making it easy on the eyes. Its been designed with the modeller in mind.

I've attached the link for the video.
    /www.redgrasscreative.com/redgrass-r9-desk-lamp/

Scroll down to watch the video.
    Hopefully Nigel will add his thoughts to the thread.

Malc
  2. NigelR A Fixture

Here's my setup:

Workbench.jpg

I really like the lack of flicker. I had quite a good LED lamp (Native Lighting Task Lamp) before, but this had a noticeable flicker which made it tiring to use for a long period.

The main reason I bought this was the high colour rendering index (97+) which is much higher than most LED lamps you can buy. This should reduce the difference between how a figure looks under the lamp compared to when it is in the wild. However, I haven't painted any figures yet so haven't tested this aspect of it.

It's also light, compact and well built. All the other lamps I have had were heavy and kept pulling their clamps off the workbench if you moved them around too much.
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good. On my bench, I have several scissors-style lamps, like draftsman's lamps, mounted via their posts in holes around the exterior frame. For my traveling kit, I use a lamp somewhat similar to the Redgrass lamp:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSQ8ZNA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it because it folds into a flat package to fit in my toolbox when I take my kit to club meetings or modeling meetups. It also has 3 settings for brightness, and can be positioned as I like to spotlight the area in front of me.

I actually have 2, because I worked in an office with a couple of millennials who wanted the lights off all the time. I needed some ambient light against the glow of our laptop screens. Relatively inexpensive, too, and available online but also in some bricks-and-mortar department stores.

Prost!
    Brad
    Scotty likes this.
  4. MalcC A Fixture

England
    That's the one I had been using, but unfortunately It wasn't suitable for me.
    But as you say it was a far less expensive model, and easy to pack away.
    My wife now uses it for her hobby.

Malc
  5. NigelR A Fixture

The problem with all of these cheaper LED lamps is the low CRI, which means they change your perception of the actual colours you are painting. That's the main reason I went for the RedGrass lamp because of its very high CRI, which obviously comes at a cost. However, I can't say yet whether that has made a difference to my figure painting or not, as I haven't painted any figures under it yet........ I will be soon though.
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

I haven't found it to have that impact. I use pretty much the white light setting for painting, and with a lot of ambient lighting as well. It's pretty much equivalent to a soft white incandescent for me. I use the other settings if I leave the lamp on as a night light in the room. But I'll be curious to hear how you like the RedGrass lamp once you get to use it.

Prost!
    Brad
  7. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When done, my figures* go in a typical IKEA cabinet, with their LED lights. For this reason, I tend to paint under two IKEA LED lamps. My theory being that they'll look the same on display.
    There's nothing worse than bringing a figure away from the bench, and it looks awful due to a change of light. This was always a criticism of model shows (Euro especially) where a change in lighting does this.

*at least the ones I own up to
    Nap and theBaron like this.
  8. NigelR A Fixture

And that's my problem. I do a lot of model shows, and my figures in particular look very different when they are "in the wild". I recently painted some figures that I was really pleased with and they looked very different when they were at a show and I was gutted. That's why I want to get lighting that doesn't influence the colours and my painting style because of its inherent flaws.

I don't know yet if it will make any difference though.
    Blind Pew and MalcC like this.
  9. NigelR A Fixture

I've just done my first figure painting session with the R9 and it looks like it will be great for me. It really seems to replicate natural light rather than white LED light, as the difference between the figure under the lamp and in "normal" lighting conditions seems to be very small. Definitely less noticeable than with other LED lamps I have used.
    theBaron likes this.
  10. Civilwar 100 Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi
    As others on this site, l have used many types of lighting and there is always a compromise. So the R9 does seem to tick all the boxes.

Are they available in the U.K.

Barry
    Nap likes this.
  11. NigelR A Fixture

They are not in any retailers yet, you have to do a "late pledge" on Kickstarter.
    MalcC likes this.
  12. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I'm really pleased with mine, its making such a difference to my work.

Malc
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Thanks to Malc and Nigel for sharing the new toy

A interesting thread to read as well

I reckon they tidied up their benches before the pics ...lol

Happy lighting everyone

Nap
    MalcC and NigelR like this.
  14. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Just a little. :D