1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Red Trousers Against Machine Guns

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by NigelR, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Excellent update, keep er rolling, Nigel!
    NigelR likes this.
  2. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    great work...
    NigelR likes this.
  3. Bookman Member

Great job! Just plow ahead with the coat, you'll be fine.

Russ
    NigelR likes this.
  4. Oda A Fixture

Impressive on all levels.

Oda.
    NigelR likes this.
  5. NigelR A Fixture

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone, I will press on with the final putty stages today. Listen hard for some swearing.......:)
    Nap, Merryweather and Oda like this.
  6. NigelR A Fixture

Swearing over, I have finished the final two figures (apart from a few tweaks and minor additions):

RTAMWIP07a.jpg RTAMWIP07b.jpg

I managed to get a reasonable result with the coat on the casualty, the advice folks gave me on here really helped (especially using CA to help the putty to stick, thanks Adrian). It looks ok, if it was a single figure I wouldn't be happy but as part of a vignette it's adequate.

The other guy came out really well, I'm very happy with the animation on this one (copied from a Bill Horan figure):

RTAMWIP08a.jpg RTAMWIP08b.jpg

Here's where we are with the whole thing:

RTAMG16.jpg

Now I've got to gird my loins for paint. Haven't painted a figure for at least a year, and my head is spinning with new ideas from Mike Butler's book.......
    oldtrousers, Martin64, Ferris and 9 others like this.
  7. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Awaiting your next steps.. will you be making slings for the rifles..
    NigelR likes this.
  8. NigelR A Fixture

Ah yes, that's a final hurdle. I'm going to leave the rifles off for painting and I will be making slings. I'm not sure how to do it - strips of lead foil or thin strips of putty. Foil is easier to keep to a consistent width and thickness but gets creased and doesn't hang quite as well. But I struggle making thins strips of putty and also attaching them to the very thin rifles may be challenging.

Any advice gratefully received......:)
  9. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Turned out fine, didn't it Nigel?
    That's a great scene, it's going to look good in paint.
    For what it's worth, I use foil from a glue tube for my slings as it's a bit tougher than lead. For buckles I use brass ones from Aber. Yes it's fiddly but I like the look. Some people use masking tape stuck back to back, some use electrical insulation tape. I like the metal because it stays put in action poses.
    Best of luck
    Neil
    Babelfish, Nap and NigelR like this.
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ive used foil with a thin layer of Duro for slings - seems to take away the "creased" appearance(y)
    Nap likes this.
  11. NigelR A Fixture

Thanks Neil, there was some swearing but it wasn't too bad......

I'll cut up some of my old oil paint tubes and see how that works.

Could you elaborate - do you roll putty over the foil and cut it into strips, or layer putty on thin foil strips?
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    "Red Trousers Against Machine Guns" .......... what a great name for an alternative rock band!

Excellent concept and composition. Not my usual period of interest in terms of modelling, but I really like what you've got going on here.

- Steve
    Ferris, NigelR and Oda like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Nigel

Nice putty work , love that officer but all the figures look great , the Bill H inspred one is great ...well done you

It's really good going back over the thread and how good the figures have turned out from its !

Looking forward to seeing your loins suitably girded

Happy benchtime

Nap
    NigelR and Oda like this.
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    "Could you elaborate - do you roll putty over the foil and cut it into strips, or layer putty on thin foil strips?" - Ive done both. Really depends on the access to the sling, once in position!(y)
    Oda, Nap and NigelR like this.
  15. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Looking fantastic!
    Oda and NigelR like this.
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Looking great! Very dynamic and full of drama!

Adrian
    Oda and NigelR like this.
  17. NigelR A Fixture

An update - I've done the flesh on all six figures, here's three of them to show what I've been able to achieve. I hate the teeny tiny eyes on 1/35 figures, especially on the ICM heads (like the officer). I really struggled to get the pupils positioned correctly, and only one figure has catchlights. It's just beyond my eyes and ability to do anything other than blobby pupils in this scale. Think I will focus on 54mm and bigger in future!

Overall I'm happy, these are definitely the best I've been able to do so far with acrylics. I picked up some tips from Mike Butler's book, thanks Mike!

RTAMG17.jpg

I've spent the last few days doing the groundwork but I won't bore you with that, it's just a mound of grass........ Hopefully it will look good with the figures on it.

Starting the uniform painting today.
    Martin64, MattMcK., KenBoyle and 10 others like this.
  18. Stephen B Member

Agree that eyes are the most challenging aspect of working in this scale...but you have done a great job.
    NigelR likes this.
  19. Merryweather A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Catchlights at this scale? Well done you!
    I'm happy if the pupil looks roughly right, never mind a bloody catchlight!
    Oda, Scotty, Stephen B and 1 other person like this.
  20. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Faces are looking great! Suggestion would be to use #6 readers for the eyes, it worked for me on the "Battle of the Tartans". Catch in the eye, outstanding, much more than I did, awesome work, Nigel.
    Oda, Scotty, NigelR and 1 other person like this.