1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Record $10,000 prize for best painted miniature at Crystal Brush 2011

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by RFL, Oct 30, 2010.

1. RFL Active Member

United-States
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/

Slightly better then the standard $5.75 Bowling Trophy " Gold Medal "

I look forward to reading the fine print.....
  2. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    People will be coming out of the woodwork and entering for this prize. With the economy in not such good shape. This show will see people who have never painted a figure before. I know I am tempted!

I bet they will get swamped with entries.
  3. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    I think i'll give the competition a miss as i don't really need $10,000 and so as to give somebody else a chance.
    Does anybody smell B***S**T ?????
    Brian
  4. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Likely to be a great show with many talented painters. If I could get there, I'd go.
  5. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    I want to be clear here, 10.000$ for the first place in a competition? is this a normal contest?....now the prices are money....?
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    So, The next time a Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 1960 or a Ford Shelby 1964
    Come on guys, this has nothing to do with a figurepainting contest.
    But that's my opnion.
  7. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    not sure I follow you, Brian?
  8. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    That is a lot of money. For figure painting. Hard to believe in this climate.
  9. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Wow, if you thought you heard complaints about judging before, wait until $10 000 is on the line. Should be interesting.
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  10. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Can't see much "figure painting as a hobby and for fun" in this, this is something for bounty hunters.
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Us mere mortals shouldn't worry ourselves about it, lots of people will be enjoying a round of golf this weekend without being paid Tiger Wood's wages. :)

Roger
  12. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Just having a laugh at my own expense Rob.
    Brian
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Brian
    You'd just spend it on models, you've made a wise decision. hold on I'm just going to check my shoe...bit of a beefy smell
    Regards
    Derek
  14. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Hhhhmmmm !! Don't agree with this if it's true - who's the prizes sponsored by ?:confused:
  15. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    If think that these are signs of the decline of our hobby (which I believe we live it).
  16. pinsel Active Member

Germany
    well if its for the ash..noone said you must have painted it yourself...one can buy such an high end russian st peterbug miniature and deliver it for the contest.well we live in times where millioaires spent any month 20000-30000 dollars on badly built plastic 1:35 tanks at ebay
    those lunatics are named
    azul71 and warmodles
    if you do not believe cheek their id at ebay.you will see it yourself.an englishman laughs any week when he sells his stuff to them...the world is an weird place with weird people in it-one could say urban decay.
  17. joegabo Member

Canada
    Hello,

Funny, doesn't take much to make some people envious and bitter. $10,000 is really not that much for a large business/event or group of businesses to put up, and if you factor into the equation that it is a large show with many retailers that want to sell their product... The more people are attracted to a show the more retailers are attracted, and the more retailers are attracted the more people come out to spend. Personally I figure its an attempt at rolling a snowball down a hill, not just for next years show but if it goes as planned for many years to come. (who will bother putting much effort into a GW competition for a statue and a photo when you can put effort into something with the possibility of much greater return. And we all know that even the golden daemons in europe get some amazing entries for a $200 sword with people traveling to the UK, France, Spain ect. from all over Europe, Russia and just about anywhere.)

I think its great that painters will actually want to drive across the country or fly in from abroad (as happens even with just a statue prize) People that normally would not bother because the prize is just window dressing and don't need a statue to know they are good at what they do.

Well just my thoughts, I personally know I have no chance but there are people out there with mad skills that will be very tempted to buy a plane ticket and do up something special. To me its that something special that captures all of our imagination and is truly the reason any of us love miniatures and buy them on mass, and that is what the organizers of the competition are counting on.

Take care, and good luck to the best of you.
    Joe