1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Recommended supplier for wood bases

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Mar 23, 2004.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I've spent some time looking for a custom wood base maker for my 1/6 Ney figure. S&T seem to be long lead time and their 1-800 # doesn't work from Canada and based on the discussion at TnT Ken Thomas appears to be out of the custom work business.

Then I remembered Garry Evans of Montreal. In case anyone is looking for a good custom wood base supplier I can recommend Garry. Garry had a stand at World Expo in Toronto and does great work, quickly. I think he has also gone down to some of the US shows in recent years.

Garry's contact info:

GEBASEMAN@aol.com

357 Chemin du Fleuve
    Les Cèdres, Quebec J7T 1L5
    Canada

(450) 455-0539

Colin Fraser
  2. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Colin. All base makers are good to know. Especially those that do good custom work. Bookmarked ;)
  3. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Colin,

Does he have a website?

Lou
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    No website. Just phone him up or e-mail him with your requirements (if you e-mail him and get no answer try calling as he may be having his PC servied over the next few days).

He's great to deal with.

I just phoned him up and asked what he could do quickly about 7" round with a recessed to and bottom lip for Marshal Ney. If you want quick work done he will offer wood up from his on-hand inventory. He's doing my base in black walnut, it will be ready in a few days and it will cost less than $20 Cdn. Best, his terms - at least for repeat customers - appear to be 'send me a cheque or if you don't like it send it back.'

Its starting to look like Garry is one of the last survivors. Why can't pople make money at this game? Too intermittent a demand?

Colin
  5. JohnLea New Member

I met Gary a few years ago when he came down to the Atlanta show. A good guy.

He came down with Didier Hachem and I gave him a corner of my table. He sold out if I recall correctly.
  6. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Are your sure that Richard is throwing in the towel?
    I spoke at him at Euro Militaire and got the idea that he was selling the business.

If true its a terrible loss, Ive always found his goods to be of fair price, high quality not to mention being a nice fellow. My main supplier will be missed.

Hope he visits Euro Militaire as a "civilian" though.
  7. Lepman New Member

I wonder if the cost of wood, especially the exotic types, has something to do with it. Prices have gone through the roof.
  8. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    I used to buy bases in Brisbane Australia from a retired carpenter. He made some pin money and I got some great well made cheap bases. Ask around your local area to find these guys. I am now resorting to Antique light fittings, the ones old houses have the light switch mounted on and which can be bought at restorer shops. Find the manufacturer and get his offcuts/discoloured stuff cheap. My supplier won't sell it for a house but gee they look good as figure bases.