1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Reality

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Ronaldo, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Ronaldo A Fixture

Having painted so many French Cavalry figures , with so many depicted with expensive Tiger or leopard shabraque did they really ride into battle with this item considering in conjunction with a couple of horses it would probable be akin to taking a Mercedes S class AMG off road :eek:
    Anyone know the real situation
    Blind Pew likes this.
  2. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  3. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dear Ron, from what I've gathered, there was a mindset of, "If I'm gonna die today, I'm gonna do it in style..." You might as well look good while you're at it. Plus, considering the cost of the things, which must've been a comparative fortune, maybe that factored into their decision making.
    DaddyO likes this.
  4. Ronaldo A Fixture

I was thinking along those lines myself :D
  5. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think that particularly with French cavalry, Ron, there was also a sharpened
    sense of elan - you know all Vive l'Empereur and Gauloises and garlic. Think of
    old Gabriel Feraud ....can't quite see him doing his stuff half heartedly...can you ?

Mike
  6. Ferris A Fixture

Do contemporary paintings offer any guidance here?
    I suppose they were not all ‘embellished’.

Adrian
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'm guessing, I do a lot of that, maybe thought of as rudimentary armour.:cautious:
  8. Ronaldo A Fixture

Yea a bunch of flash chappies ,thats why I like to paint them :rolleyes:
  9. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Hey Mike, Gabriel didn't look so "Vive L'Emporeur" at the end of the film did he. Superb film though, loved the Russian scenes. Ray
  10. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    True, Ray, a great movie. It's said that the end of the film is but an allegory of the Emperor
    himself. A defeated Feraud stares from his hillside, as Bonaparte does from St Helena ...both
    of them coming to terms with their fate.

Mike

PS Just a thought...perhaps the same sort of thing is happening in Mar-a-Lago...eh?
  11. Ronaldo A Fixture

Took me a while to work out who GF :rolleyes: good movie .I read the book in the seventies long before the film , great book.
  12. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Agree with you, Ron, one of Conrad's short stories as I remember. All too often films
    don't match the original book do they? But Ridley Scott's version - apart from one or
    two shortcomings - is visually stunning and captures the Elan thing beautifully. I too
    am a Napoleonic fan and find such figures irresistible.

Mike
  13. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Has any of you read 7 Men from Gascony, by R.F.Delderfield. Brilliant story about 7 Soldiers from a French Napoleonic Light Infantry Regt. Ray.
  14. Ronaldo A Fixture

iors
    No but sounds interesting , also the memoirs of Charles Parquin is a great read even though all wine women and food is of excellent taste
    Then again he was a Chasseur :rolleyes:

PS is Amazon just taking the piss : seven men from Gascony hard back Nine hundred quid,paper back a fiver :eek:
  15. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Ron, Buy the Paperback, it's worth every penny. Although it's fiction, the stories are taken from first hand accounts of French soldiers at the time. It starts around 1808-9 and goes right through to Waterloo. It truly deserves a film version. Ray
    OldTaff likes this.
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Deleted.......dumb response...