1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Re-vamp

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Ronaldo, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Ronaldo A Fixture

Decided to go over some old previous painted busts which had been painted about ten years ago when I first came back to the hobby after about twenty year break.

This was a lot of fun to redo .

fullsizeoutput_81d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_820.jpeg fullsizeoutput_81f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_81e.jpeg
    Perseas, DEL, John Bowery and 6 others like this.
  2. Ronaldo A Fixture

Noticed a little blemish on the right should which I need to sort
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ron

Great to see this revamped ...love the metals ...what you using ?

Like the cloak red as well

Why not enter this months FOTM as well as voting for the previous months entries

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Like the overall dark shading on the bust, makes it look extremely realistic.
  5. Ronaldo A Fixture

Hi Kev
    The metals have been done with a little technique I stumbled on .

First the metal parts are base coated in Tamiya Nato Black applied with the AB Then painted over with Vasari's raw umber which is very different from
    Old Holland and WN being ; leaning heavily to the black side of the spectrum I also mix in a little Old Holland Green umber .
    This is all applied in a fairly light mix with some pure Distilled Turpintine which will cause the oil in the paint to evaporate and start to surface dry
    very quickly .

I now go over everything with PM Dino's gold powder on a dry brush ,very lightly and sparingly generally increasing the amount of powder in the higher spots.
    This takes a little practice not to overdo it , with the underpainting still being slightly wet it all develops a lovely sheen .

All sounds a bit difficult but it's simple and fun to do.
  6. Ronaldo A Fixture

thank for looking Chris.
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ron

Thanks for sharing the metallics ...useful

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork

Mobo
  9. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Great description of your method for painting metals Ron, thanks for that.
    I use Tamiya NATO Black a lot as a basecoat in my AFV modelling (yes, heresy, I know) but I never realised it could be used as a base for metallic finishes.
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's very nice Ron, excellent painting.
    I will have to try the metal work technique.
  11. Ronaldo A Fixture

I suppose any matt black could be used , but as you probably know nato black is not quite black ; that's what makes it so useful and it goes on like a dream via the AB
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  12. Ronaldo A Fixture

Its quite simple Bob its about getting the right evaporation of the umber oils via the pure turpentine and a very light touch on the first application of the gold powder to create an overall hallo then bring up the high spots with more applications while all is still wet .

Suggest you try it on something with high relief to begin with ,IE sword hilt, braiding etc
    Chris Oldfield and Viking Bob like this.
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent.

marc
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Well done,
    Cheers
    John