1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Re-inventing myself

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by carpo, Feb 14, 2009.

1. carpo Member

Australia
    Well - I have been out of the figure side of modelling for a couple of years and have returned with a desire to reinvent myself as a painter. As a result, I am continuing my Agincourt pieces that I started ages ago and here is what I have been able to produce:

I am particularly trying to get more contrast in my shading and think that this piece is on the right track.

Red is such a pain!

Any criticism is always appreciated.

Carpo

Attached Files:

2. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    Hi Paul,

Looks real nice so far, I do think your on the right track with the shading on the Blue. As for the Red the shadows could be deeper to match the other section.

Red is not really a problem, shade it by adding either Green, Blue or even some Brown to your base mix. Try all three on a scrap piece to see what effect best goes with your piece.

You didn't mention are you using Oils or Acrylics?

Keep posting your progress, I love Azincourt.

Cheers,
  3. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Carpo,personally, i think you are doing a hell of a job. I like the blue, highs are great and shadows as well.
    i haven't painted any metal effects yet, and i think if i try it will be a disaster
    :( so, i can't help you with that, but the metal work looks great.
    Daniel
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Paul,

Welcome back to figure modelling mate,and well done on this figure. The shading and highlighting of the blues are superb.
  5. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start to this figure, the blues look good as does the metal, good luck with the red I am sure you will do well with this from what I have seen
    Cheers
    Tommi
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Welcome back to our hobby, the darkside of modelling.
    It looks that you haven't forgotten how to paint.
    Its a great start. Blue and Red are difficult.

Marc
  7. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Paul, nice start-I've just had the same problem with Red, finally mixed Veridian and Dark Blue for very deep shadows.
    Keith
  8. Mark S Guest

Great re-invention,Carpo!
    Very nice work on the blue,and the red looks good.
    The metal looks great!What have you used to wash the metals.
    Are they burnished or painted metals?
  9. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Hi Paul welcome back to the club,as I can see you use oils and your blues are great.Because I am using acrylics I don't know the hall sets of oils to highlight your red just a suggestion to make your basic red darker by adding burnt umber and then make your high lights adding clear red to your darker mixture,for extra lights maibe naples yellow with(or) yellow ochre.Anyway I am sure that you have your answer as I see from the blue, you just need some time to warm up after two years timeout.Regards Christos
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Carpo,
    So far a real nice re-invention.
    Cheers
    John
  11. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    From the look of the photos you are of to a good start. Do you paint in oils ,as I can see a slight sheen on the blue.

David
  12. carpo Member

Australia
    Jehan17
    Thanks for the green idea - I have no formal training in art/colour theory so this advice is great! I have since reworked the shadows with a green mix and am very happy with the result! (I am painting in oils by the way)

Stiff - the metals are first painted overall black then humbrol metalizers, washed with gunmetal and then highlighted with the metalizers again.

Thanks all for the encouragement!
    Carpo
  13. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Looks to me you haven't lost that much
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Paul,

Welcome back, and great start on the figure.

Marcel.
  15. carpo Member

Australia
    Agincourt progress

A little progress - due to a hatred of painting the same pattern repetitively, I have resorted to using decals for the basic shape of my heraldric patterns which I then paint. I design the shapes on corel draw and prepaint the decal with a base coat. Then I fill and shade the decal once applied.

Does anyone know of a company that does heraldric decal sheets for this purpose?

Attached Files:

16. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Dear friend heraldics in dry transfer comes from Andrea and maybe also from other companies , but i think thatthey only downgrade the miniature as they are shiny and they need all over repainting . I belive is better to pay some more effort and try to make them yourself . This will be much more pleasure

Costas
  17. carpo Member

Australia
    Nearly there

Here is my little knight almost finished - I'll probably put some small fleur-de -lys on the sleeves and once the various little straps and spurs are done, so is he. A lot of the armor has a bright gold edging which does not come out in the photo for some reason.
    Carpo

Attached Files:

18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nicely done Carpo.

I'd like to see a bit more shading inside the right sleeve.
  19. Brent Fordham New Member

Canada
    Looks very good, Paul. Your fleur-de-lys look quite decent - interesting solution to painting them.