1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Re-discovered yesterday ......Phoenix Model Developments

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by fogie, May 8, 2019.

1. theBaron A Fixture

United-States

Thanks, but in this case, I prefer the hardcopy originals. I'm not actively looking, but that one came up in my feed, and at three bucks, it was a good deal. It's just interesting that someone was willing to bid up to $24.50 for it.

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  2. Craig Elliott New Member

I am a sculptor and work in the film industry as a production designer and have always been a huge PMD fan. I wanted to try this wax and plasticine mixture and made myself a batch to try and it is wonderful. I used 50/50 beeswax and Chavant NSP medium plasticine for my mix. Do you know the proportions Tim Richards favored for this custom clay, and did he have a brand of plasticine he used? I'm also curious what tools he used. The material works well with electric heated wax pens, dental waxers and alcohol flame torches. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! -Craig
    kagemusha, Son of PMD and Nap like this.
  3. Son of PMD Member

Hi Craig, ok..here goes.. I’ve attached photo of an old pack of what Tim used. I’ve checked out that the company still exist ( they’re on eBay !) Newclay Products Ltd, Newton Abbot, Devon. Can’t help with what the mix ratio was with beeswax, no secret just don’t know. Tools were predominantly dental type but somewhere here I’ve an array of tools he used which included a load of ‘bradawl’ type things with bulbous wooden handles. ( how’s that for technical ). Interestingly I never saw nor knew of him using anything hot or electrical. ( it was bad enough letting him loose with sharp things !!) I’ll post pics of the tools when I find them. 69B2BA57-9EDA-4C2F-BA76-DDBB4A1433B0.jpeg
    MCPWilk, Craig Elliott and Nap like this.
  4. Craig Elliott New Member

Wow, thank you so much, it means so much to me that you are so generous with your information. I always wished I could have met Tim and told him how much I loved his work. He was so skilled, these originals should be in a museum. Just because his work was commercial in nature, doesn't mean it is not up there with the best. The kind of work Tim did is one of the reasons George Lucas is opening his museum here in Los Angeles. The work of commercial sculptors and illustrators is not properly appreciated. Anyhow I purchased some newplast on Amazon today, it is pretty steep, but not as bad as ebay at $60 a block with shipping! I guess you get your own pigeon to fly it over? :O I'll have to experiment with the real thing and let you know how it goes. I'm excited and curous to see the tools as well!
    Craig
    kagemusha and Nap like this.
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  6. Roger Saunders New Member

7. Roger Saunders New Member

Hi Ray. A bit late, I know, but I sculpted several of the Phoenix figures, and seem to have lost most of them. In particular the beach couple you mentioned in your post. If you still have them, could you take a decent photo of them for me? All I have is the catalogue prints.
    Sorry to trouble you with this. Only just joined Planetfigure so unsure how to post properly....I'm on Facebook as Roger Saunders, btw.
    theBaron likes this.
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the Planet, Roger! I've seen your signature incised under some bases!

Prost!
    Brad
    Roger Saunders likes this.
  9. Billy Dickinson PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Roger, I remember fondly too, your work with New Hope Design and some of your own castings done here on the Isle of Man
    Best wishes,
    Billy
    theBaron and Roger Saunders like this.
  10. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Finally found us all lurking on here, then, Roger. Good to see you posting......seen a number of your postings on FB, and good to know you are so well regarded by so many folk. Remembering fondly some of the times at Caxton Hall with Sid and the others. Happy days ;)

Cheers, Alan
    Roger Saunders likes this.
  11. Adler Leon New Member

Sorry if I'm butting into a conversation but not sure quite where to put this.
    Very sad to report that Chub Pearson of Denizen Miniatures ( 25 mm Fantasy, scifi, 1/43 racing driver figures and 90mm figures) passed away after a short illness at the end of last year.
    L
    Nap likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Leon

Always sad to hear such news , our thoughts are with family and friends

Nap
    VerSacrum likes this.