1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Re-discovered yesterday ......Phoenix Model Developments

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by fogie, May 8, 2019.

1. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

It did Nap, "It's a figure!!", "Yeah but it's a Band, a one man Band" "But you can't enter it in here!!" "Why not, it's a class for Bands", "Yes, But not THAT sort of Band" A ruling was made and it went into the Greenwood and Ball Comp. BUT, I never got asked to judge there again until many years later, I was asked to judge The Ancients Trophy, and I eliminated ALL the single figure entries, because the rules for the comp. stated it was for "Tribal Groups of Figures" and, their definition of a group was more than one figure. More Uproar!! until they changed the rules. They couldn't run a P**s up in a Brewery in those days.!!
    OldTaff and arj like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England

I am saying nothing ...!!

Eliminator as well ........uproar indeed ...lol

Nap
  3. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I like the Lost World of Atlantis series especially the Mermaid.

mermaid6.JPG
  4. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the Atlantis King sat on a Throne with the Hag from the same series and the addition of the baby from the Georgian series, and it was called, "You and your One more time for olld times sake !!"
  5. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many of the figures featured here are still available for sale from
    https://www.sanddmodels.co.uk
    The Pheonix follies girls in 80mm are part of Atelier Market range having been sold
    alongside Metal Modeles by Bruno Liebowitz for years.
    Fill your boots you nostalgia modellers
    DaddyO and Nap like this.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I feel your frustration Ray.
    I must admit, in the late 80s, I concocted a figure to test the 'tutting' level of the BMSS hierarchy.
    While it wasn't well painted, it achieved an extremely high level of 'tut' at their annual show.
    It was based on the Airfix Highlander, which I called 'The Gay Gordon'.

IMG_1460r.jpg

Cheers,
    Andrew
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    OMG !!!!!!!! ....I can hear the groans and mutterings ....lol

Congratulations on the high level tutting

Nap
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bringing things back to topic, I've just had a look through my 1976 volume of Mil Mod, and thought these adverts were interesting for the subject matter:-

Phoenix 1.jpg Phoenix 2.jpg Phoenix 3.jpg Phoenix 4.jpg

Years ago I bought a small box of second-hand Phoenix bandsmen (the price on the box is £5.10).
    They are still in their original primer, and with some paint applied (as I bought them).
    I may have to give them a Dettol bath.

IMG_4032r.jpg

Cheers,
    Andrew
    The Dozing Dragon, theBaron and Nap like this.
  9. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Back in those early days the BMSS was still home to a lot of old school blow-hards who would
    have probably preferred to wear mess dress on club nights. It certainly didn't take much to send
    the old Tut-ometer off the scale. But there seems to be an awful lot of angst still sloshing around
    after forty years.

Mike
    OldTaff likes this.
  10. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    No angst on my part Mike; just an old memory of some good laughs, puns and 'extracting the Michael'.
    One member of our club produced a charge of the Light Brigade using torch bulbs and some British Airfix helmets.
    Another constructed a Marmite soldier, suitably rigged, helmeted and armed with rifle.
    I had planned to convert an Airfix Coldstream kit, seated at a dressing table with pots of cream. Sadly, nothing came of my 'Cold Cream Guardsman'.
    Happy younger days.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  11. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Makes me think of this....

"SQOOOOADDD! CAMP IT...UP!"

Prost!
    Brad
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    That picture of the club diorama setting and the odd furniture pieces reminds me that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. How many small manufacturers used Phoenix furniture (more likely copies of it) in their own kits? Frontline Figures' own Colonial Classics has a good number of Phoenix or Phoenix "inspired" items in the catalog, figures as well as furniture. The upholstered chair and footstool from the Georgian range turned up frequently, too.

Prost!
    Brad
    Son of PMD likes this.
  13. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I've got the Chess Players somewhere on the bench, too. Started that years ago then put it aside.

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap and Son of PMD like this.
  14. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Still .... Military Modelling but a bit ;) later ... 1998
    mm98 04     017 Phoenix.jpg mm98-02-----007-W-Phoenix.jpg
    Son of PMD likes this.
  15. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    And a band 30mm ( a bit out of focus )
    DSC_0549.jpg
    theBaron and Son of PMD like this.
  16. Son of PMD Member

Old and dusty and in need of a bit of restoration. 46802710-1E37-4BBF-A301-F1052A4938AD.jpeg E5ED0FDD-427A-4C0E-AC23-60BB2D8CA3FA.jpeg
    theBaron likes this.
  17. Son of PMD Member

More dusty depictions! BTW, I can’t take credit for any of these.( I can take credit for being a Drum Major in the RAF Band, Royal Tournament, 1973 ) 23B0E9E0-1599-4A1A-A950-82590426AD00.jpeg View attachment 390704 AF9CD54B-5F37-423E-948A-FA6D3355B96B.jpeg
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Those bands still look impressive in need of restoration or not !

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Son of PMD likes this.
  19. The Dozing Dragon New Member

United-Kingdom
    Great pictures and wonderful memories. They advertised a range of 40mm Romans which I always meant to pick up but never did and can't for the life of me find either a listing or an image. Wish those moulds would turn up!
    Nap likes this.
  20. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium