1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Ra Staff Sgt 1856

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kev,
    The lace looks fine. The 100x magnification of the photographs here do not do the painter any favours when in reality the bush work is superb.
    then......its the Naval VC winners for me !!! These sound interesting Mate. Look forward to seeing these and where they have come from.
    Keep up the fine work Kev.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    MCPWilk likes this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

You are too right about the magnification ..I really must get this piccy taking sorted out !!!

Ref the Naval VC's ...actually one VC ...a gentleman called William Rickard ...another little collaboration between myself and the long suffering Jimbo ...here is the link to the WIP post :

http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/william-thomas-rickard-vc.54235/watch-confirm

Thanks for the details on how you paint Blues , I agree about Prussian blue as well .

Happy modelling

Nap
  3. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Nice paint job Nap !!!
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Appreciate your comments ..good or bad !!!!! just finished off base coating the rank on the arms ...hope to finish this tommorow and then its just the buttons ...and then ...............I am off to sea with Mr Rickard ..ho ho ho 16 men on a dead mans chest ...Ooops wrong period !!!!!

Thanks for looking in Chritosjager...a fixture ???

Happy modelling to all

Nap
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Benn working on the rank ...one sides done ...light going so pic not best ...as usual ..looks really good in the flesh ...off to do the otherside now ...all NMM in acrylics

Probably going to revist the hair highlights as well .............

Base already for nameplate etc

First Before : k 056.jpg

Then After: k 058.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Nap
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good to see all these Crimean War busts and figures. I use Humbrol 104, Oxford Blue, for my very dark blue.

Happy modelling,

Mike
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kev,
    I have no idea how I missed this thread Mate.
    The work on this one is fantastic.....you are Mr Medal Maker.
    What a great series this will be.
    Do you think that you will include John (Jack) Cornwell the youngest VC recipient?
    As always good work Kev.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

I reckon you were finding more interesting threads mate !!!!!!

Really wish I could get better pictures as he does look even better ..inbetween the blurs!!!!

A VC series ..Mmmmm Jack Cornwall ....what a hero ..16 years old and an amazing story for sure , he was awarded the VC (Blue ribbon till 1918 for Naval winners) after his death and the entire country mourned ad was in awe at his bravary .....never got to actually wear his VC though .....could possibly use CGS bugler as a basis but lets see eh!!!!

Might have a rest from the VC though ....looking at Mad Mitch from Mitches Military Models ..one or two medals there !!!!

I have finished the other side of the rank badges now so itsj ust the buttons now ..final checks and confirmation and then base up !!!

How ar you getting on with your version that Jimbo did ..any update mate ?

More to follow when remaining bits and bobs done

Thanks for looking in

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kev,
    My RA Sergeant from Jim is at my daughters house in the UK and I will not be there until the end of March...not good. I am getting itchy paint brushes.
    I think that your RN thread was posted while I was changing my broardband supplier. We lost a whole week waitng for the switch.
    I am looking forward to your next update with all of the brass and gold lace in place.
    Cheers
    Keith
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Keith ,
    I am sure you won't be dissapointed with what Jim did ...if you need any references let me know .....may your itch get better .

Service providers ...don't get me going on that one mate !!!!

Off to see Jimbo later with my version of the RA .....just incase guys the RA Sgt is I believe should be released by Mitches Military Models in the near future ...be interesting to see the variations on it .

Nap
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kev,
    I know the RA Sgt will be a winner. After all I have spent a good amount of time looking at your version and planning what I will do with it in my mind.
    It would be great to be a 'fly on the wall' when you and Jim are in the same room.
    Give Jim (Poobha in Chief) my regards Mate and have a great chin wag today.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  12. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Kev, Keith decided to take the RA Sgt as it was with no conversion work, so he has an original, but I feel sure he'll add to it himself.
    Cheers
    Jim
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Looks very excellent! Nap.:woot:
    Cool bust!;)

Mitsutaka:)
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all ,

Jimbo ,

Be iteresting to see what Keith does with his version as well .

Mitsutaka,

Thanks you for your kind comments ..I have enjoyed this now I have started the details !!!

Nap
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Just a update , he is now finished , and based up on a great piece of wood from Ron T on this forum ...not without problems though ..not with the base more with Mr Elephant fingers when securing the bust onto the post ....I managed to break the peak :cry: :cry: ...much depression over Axford !!!!! ........................

Thankfully the break was clean and nothing had actaully broken away so with much mutterings and lots of caffine and fillers and patience it is now repaired and it looks fine :woot:

So guys don't try and be smart ...drill before you prime!!!!(y)

I will post pics soon ..now priming another 2 ...yes with medals as well

Nap

PS If anyone wants to purchase a bust when it was with Campaign Miniatures please contact me by pm or by e mail to napoleonpeart@yahoo.co.uk as I have 2 staring at me !!!!
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys,

Well he is all but finshed now , proving that the choice of base helps the presentation no end (cheers Ron) !!!!...Still to put the nameplate on when it arrives will then post again .

I am pleased with the final result and it does look a lot better in real life ...honest !!!!, particularly pleased with the variation in the NMM the lacework and rank badges etc .

Thanks for looking in

Nap

k 056.jpg k 057.jpg k 058.jpg k 055.jpg
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great finish Kev.
    The gold lace has worked perfectly for you...the additional peak and medals add a lot too.
    Can I be bold and say that your catch lights in the eyes work very well, you could add some to the buttons, though not a bright, just to give another dimension.
    As always I am in awe of the way your last few brush strokes give a real kiss of life to you work.
    Nice one Mate.
    All the very best
    Keith