1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Quiz: When and where did this happen?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Martin Antonenko, May 29, 2021.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    When and where did this happen?

An airplane flied over Europe.

At the "urgent request" of the government of a state, this aircraft is forced to land on the airfield of a European capital.

The government of the state, which made this "request", hoped to get hold of a government opponent who was supposed to be on board the said aircraft.

The questions:

1. In what year did this happen?
    2. Which aircraft was it?
    3. In which capital was it forced to land?
    4. What was the name of the government opponent who should to be arrested this way?
    5. What sanctions did the EU then impose?

Cheers
  2. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I'm guessing there is more than one answer to this one:) - except of course for Q5, which is most likely "NONE"
  3. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    1. In the merry year 2021 (after Christ, not BC!) on May 23
    2. Ryanair FR4978 from Athens to Vilnius, aircraft Boeing 737-8AS registration number SP-RSM
    3. Minsk International Airport, Belarus
    4. Roman Protasevitsj
    5. The European Council:
    • demanded the immediate release of Raman Pratasevich and Sofia Sapega
    • called on the International Civil Aviation Organization to investigate this incident
    • invited the Council to adopt relevant sanctions concerning persons and entities as soon as possible
    • called on the Council to adopt further targeted economic sanctions and invited the High Representative and the Commission to submit proposals without delay
    • called on all EU-based carriers to avoid overflight of Belarus
    • called on the Council to adopt measures to ban overflight of EU airspace by Belarusian airlines and prevent access to EU airports of flights operated by such airlines
    • stood in solidarity with Latvia following the unjustified expulsion of Latvian diplomats
    In other words, regardind point 5, the right answer goes to Airkid, for apart for 'calling', 'demanding' and 'standing in solidarity' the EU hasn't done anything concrete! A few countries refused to fly over Belarus, much to old Vladimir's displeasure!

cheers,

Pierre
    Blind Pew, Airkid, winfield and 2 others like this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    1. In what year did this happen? 2013

2. Which aircraft was it? It was the plane of the Bolivian President Juan Evo Morales Ayma, with which he flew - via Barcelona - from a political meeting in Moscow back to La Paz.

3. In which capital was it forced to land? In Vienna (Austria) in the night of July 2nd to 3rd, 2013 - following an "urgent request" from the US government.

[IMG]

[IMG]

4. What was the name of the government opponent who should to be arrested this way? Edward Snowdon - the CIA whistleblower. But the CIA had done a sloppy investigation - Snowdon wasn't on board.

5. What sanctions did the EU then impose? None!

I am in absolute solidarity with the kidnapped people and support the sanctions against the Belarusian government, just like Pierre, especially since my wonderful Tanja lives in the Ukraine, which, thanks to support of the Russian government (not the Russian people!), is covered with war - but I think that the same law should apply to all governments.

Cheers
    Blind Pew, Martin64, sd0324 and 2 others like this.
  5. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Forgot about that one, at least I got no.5 right:)
    Nap and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Sneaky ol' Barack. Good reply Pierre, and like you, I had forgotten the Snowden event. Keep 'em coming Martin(y)

Phil
    akaryu, Martin Rohmann and sd0324 like this.
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    If you are a "freedom fighter" or a "terrorist" always depends on the political (and military) strength of the respective acting state . Sad - but unfortunately true ...
    Airkid likes this.
  8. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Luckily, we in the EU have a supreme government who is very adept, much less eager, to do some 'calling', 'demanding' and 'standing in solidarity' with whoever is in danger of unfair treatment. With that very reassuring thought , there is no need to worry about whatever unpleasantness comes our way!

But keep the quizzes coming Martin!

Pierre
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Interesting Martin

Certainly didn't get any right .....except #5 !

Nap
    Martin Rohmann and Blind Pew like this.
  10. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Martin, are are 100% right of course, but you missed something out. Another factor is how much oil any of the participants control. Basically, the more oil you have = a free pass. Same goes for economic power in general.
    When you've got them by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow.
    Airkid and Martin Rohmann like this.
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Kashoggi!
    Blind Pew and Airkid like this.
  12. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Trouble is, these events occur and the media gets all indignant and has a collective melt-down, but in the end, nothing gets done, and the perpetrators know this will be the case. Sanctions are at best inconvenient to the likes of Lukashenko, Iran, the Myanmar lot, Kim J-u et al, because there is always someone to turn to.

Phil
    Blind Pew likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    The "big sharks" will hardly feel the sanctions!

It is different with the "small fishes" that (have to) live there.

Hardly any of them have chosen whether they want to be a citizen of the country "Belarus", "Ukraine" or "Russia".

They lived where they lived - and went to bed as citizens of the Soviet Union, just like my wonderful Tanja!

When they woke up the next morning they were residents of a different state because Yeltsin and the other "big sharks" had split up the Soviet Union that night.

Tanja became a "Ukrainian" that night - and nobody asked her!

When she got her new passport, the first thing the authorities took away from her was her name - and the Russian "Tatjana" became the Ukrainian "Tetiiana". Again she was not asked!

Her brother lives at Stavropol in Russia - she has not been able to see him for almost six years because Russia and Ukraine are enemies ...

And what it really looks like in these independent countries is the following story:

When Tanja's daughter gave birth to her grandchild, the little one should actually be vaccinated against tuberculosis, as is common practice.

The only thing is that the vaccine could not be found anywhere in the great Ukraine!
    I could have got the serum in Germany without any problems - but it has to be refrigerated, and a package to Ukraine is six weeks (or even longer) on the way ...

But the UIkraine presidential actor, who is no less corrupt than his predecessors, talks about buying weapons - and has even thought aloud about arming his country with nuclear weapons.

This is what it looks like there!

It is no different in Belarus!

Believe me, the people there want nothing more than a intact roof over their heads, a reasonably warm apartment in winter, electricity 24 hours a day if possible, a decent job with which they can survive, no street crime, no corrupt authorities, no hospitals, where you have to bring your own medication with you.

Nobody wants war there, except for a few "big sharks", who get even richer as a result!

The sanctions will fall on these "small fishes" - the "big sharks" will notice next to nothing ...

If it were only up to me, I would hunt all the "big sharks" to hell, including the ultra-nationalists - and reunite the Soviet Union into one country.

And a freely elected government should work the devil to take away the most pressing worries from the people!

Sorry - but that just had to get out!

Cheers
    Blind Pew, akaryu and Airkid like this.
  14. Airkid A Fixture

England
    I follow that 100% Martin.
    Martin Rohmann likes this.