1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

quick sculpey question

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by RobH, Mar 18, 2004.

1. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all experience sculpey users!

just got my hands on some super sculpey......

question; will it take repeated baking? kind of dumb I know.

cheers

Rob
  2. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey Rob,

Yes super sculpey will take repeated bakings. I have done this with success. You have to be careful not to overbake though. I normally bake on a lower temp. 200-250 degrees and for slightly less time to avoid this (I use a crockpot). Hope this helps.

-jim cox
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Another important thing is to let the piece cool in the oven after baking, do not take it out right away. This helps to possibly prevent the fiece from cracking or fracturing.~Gary
  4. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Good point Gary - very true. Forgot that one!

-jim cox
  5. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys

I've started something already, and the joy of being able to return to the work after being called away without it going off was great!!

Interesting about cooling in the oven though....read on either the Shilfett brothers site or Dan Perez's site that they immerse it in cold water to speed up the cooling!!
    Think I'll approach it in the cautious way!

Thanks again

Rob
  6. Shane Active Member

Rob,

I wouldn't put it in a pre-heated oven either. If you plan on needing to bake it several times, I'd do them all at the lowest heat setting for just 10-12 minutes at a time. That's still enough to bake it and runs less risk of cracking.

Shane