1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

questions on how to paint native american skintone

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Chris Kelm, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Hello,
    I just bought a Apache scout with a 2 tone face camouflage of blue stripe across the face to the nose and white stripe from the tip of the nose to the lower lip and normal flesh the rest of the face. I would like to know how do you paint this camouflage so it doesn't look like you just painted big stripes on his face?
    Is there a step by step way of doing this?
    Thank you.
    chris
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Depending on the scale of the piece....I personally would 'stipple' the markings.

Ron
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Chris,
    Remember that is exactly what the Indians did, they painted with their fingers and hands. Like Ron says keep the paint toned down.
    Cheers
    John
    rossbach likes this.
  4. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Ron,
    The bust is 1/10th scale. Now when you say stipple the paint for the markings on the face,how does one do that?
    Sorry.
    chris
  5. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Try to start by painting the blue bands with diluted/transparant paint. And then if have positioned them fill the stripes so as to build up the colour.

Like John says it doesn't matter that it looks like they put a stripe across their face. Because this is exactly what they did.

It should not look like a facial tattoo. And if you carefully apply the blue paint in thin layers it will look good and realistic.

Paul
  6. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Hi Chris....as has been said...precision was not a part of how they applied the 'war' paint....so don't try to be clever.
    I would expect you have some old brushes in your pot...we all do...and I keep mine for such situations....and many others.
    As it's 1/10th you have a fair bit of leeway so....I would choose a number 2 (flat or round) and cut it down nice and short....so you are left with a hairy stub....you don't want it long or the hairs will splay when you dab the surface.
    Do a google search for a stencil brush and you will get the idea.
    Now....mix your chosen colour and place it on a piece of paper towel to soak out the excess oil...the paint is more controllable if thicker.
    Dip just the end of the brush in the paint...then...holding the brush and keeping it upright...dab it onto a piece of paper...this will show you what you can expect...and allows you to practice before you attack the bust.
    A tip for you...always dab off the brush a bit to remove some of the colour first...simply because you want to build up the layer of paint slowly until you have what you want.
    Hope this makes sense....feel free to ask if you need more help or tips.

Regards

Ron
    billyturnip and DaddyO like this.
  7. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Ron,
    Thanks for your advice I will try that technique.
    Oh if you want to see what I was talking about the artist name is, David Yorke and the painting is called, "Stolen Glory".
    I hope the painting will help you understand what I was trying to accomplish.
    Thank you.
    Chris
  8. BESPJL Active Member

Portugal
    Good to see you ocupied with our hobby.

All the best.
  9. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Paulo,
    Hi, yes I have to do something with all this down time while job hunting, otherwise I would go a little crazy.
    chris
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris....looking at the painting...I would suggest that 'stippling' will give you the best result (y)

Ron
  11. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Ron,
    Now you know what I am dealing with and I guess the stippling method is the way to go.
    Thank you.
    chris
  12. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I personally consider it your best option Chris...but would strongly suggest you try out different approaches on another 'spare' head if you have one.
    Other members will have differing techniques to offer.

Ron
  13. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Thank you. Ron.