1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Questions about Civil war Union Soldier flag bearers

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Chris Kelm, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Hello,
    I am working on a 54mm union flag bearer and would like all your advise on what the color(s) are for the rank on the sleeves of their uniforms? I have seen on reenactments that they are a what looks to be a white or a VERY light blue,maybe.
    Also, where the canteens a wood color or did they have some kind of cloth covering?
    So any suggestions will be of great help.
    Thank you.
    Chris
  2. Len K. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Chris,

Union infantry rank insignia was a bright sky blue fading lighter as it weathered. Union issued canteens were tin covered with brown or sky blue cloth, brown being the most common. It depended on the manufacturer. Color bearers were sergeants usually wearing regulation sky blue trousers wth a 1/2” wide dark blue stripe down the outer seam of each leg. The regulation color for the coat was indigo and sky blue for trousers. Hope this helps.
    Oda likes this.
  3. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Thank you very much! this did help a lot!
    chris
  4. Len K. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quick correction. Sgt. trouser stripes were 1 1/2” corporal trouser stripes were 1/2”.
    Oda likes this.
  5. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
  6. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Len,
    I mainly use JS paints to paint all my figures and the sky blue color, what color would best represent the sky blue color in the JS paint line? would you know or anyone you might know would know?
    Chris
  7. Len K. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Both of the pictures attached by Fantomas are of original coats so it shows you the varition. The stripes on the coat on the left are a truer sky blue as was called for in regulations. I paint mainly civil war figures and tend to favor the deeper blue. I'm not sure about a match for JS paints anything close would work. Not a great photo but the trousers and coat piping in this Tunison Sculpture I painted are sky blue oils.

IMG_3707.jpg
    Oda likes this.
  8. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Variations on a theme the union.jpg
  9. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Great! I think I got it! Thanks.
    Chris