1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Questions about AK Interactive weathering pencils

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Chris Kelm, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    I was just introduced to the AK Interactive weathering pencils from a friend of mine. So I was interested but wasn't sure if I can use them on my figures to weather them as well. So of course,my question is can you weather your figures using the AK Interactive weathering pencils?
    Thank you.
  2. Chazman Active Member

United-States
    I figure they might be good for weapons and gear and such, but I'll let someone who's used them chime in.
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    I can't comment on their suitability for figure modelling, but I have a buddy who runs his own armour modelling blog & has tried them.
    His comment was that they were of limited use to him, because the effects they gave were so subtle they were mostly invisible.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Lester Plaskitt was demonstrating AK water based pencils at white rose club last Saturday and used them to weather the coat on a figure very successfully.. He also demonstrated their use on plastic which is probably their main use. To be honest similar effects on figures can be achieved by grinding down artists pastels on a nail file and then applying them with a brush.

There is room for all of these techniques it is down really to how much do you want to spend.

Keith
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I saw the same demo as Keith at the weekend, on the strength of which I've decided to buy a set and give them a go. I was very impressed. At +/- $1 / £1 / €1 per pencil they cost next to nothing (as another regular here amusingly but very correctly commented, "you can set fire to them at that price").

One thing that I would add is that if you don't get the effect you want they are very easy to remove with water, allowing you to start all over again. For me this gives them the edge over pigments which (once applied) are basically there to stay as they will tarnish the model even if you try and remove them.

- Steve
    NeilW and Chris Oldfield like this.
  6. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many years ago I and my sons used Caran d'Ache and similar water colour pencils for shading and highlighting on their plastic and metal GW figs (orcs, dwarves, space marines etc). I think they're stronger colours than the AK shading pencils (though the better brands do full palette of colours, eg Faber-Castell) fairly successfully. Not sure if there's any still kicking about (most were sold/chucked many years ago) otherwise I'd post pics.

I seem to recall four techniques:
    a) apply dry to the surface and leave dry
    b) ditto but then wash with water
    c) brush a wet brush onto the end of the pencil then brush on
    d) for a thicker coat, as above but then crayon on (the 'lead' goes quite sticky and lumpy so could work for mud etc)

Either/any way, once dry they seem to be pretty permanent.

As Steve's mate said, cheap enough to be worth a go. As usual lot's of options and no doubt price/quality counts (I've use Caran d'Ache, Derwent and some really cheap bulk box... the latter were OK but clearly not as good as the others).

eg here: https://www.cowlingandwilcox.com/89-watercolour-pencils#

and here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=watercolour pencils for adults&crid=JCWPFN3MSZOW&sprefix=water colour pencils,aps,153&ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_3_20

I also have some w/s crayons (look like wax crayons) but the colours are really fierce and I've never used them on figs... neither have I tried the pastel powder method so I'll give that a go as well.