1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils Question on crock pots

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by redhorse, Apr 27, 2011.

1. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    I currently use primarily alkyds, but I have a bunch of W&N artists series oil colors and I'd like to try them out on figures. I use the alkyds primarily because they dry relatively quickly, but I've read that putting a figure in a crock pot will dry oils overnight. Before I go swipe one of my wife's crock pots, does anyone here have experience with them? Does it dry regular oil paints overnight, or only alkyds and regular oils take longer? I've also read that it will give oils a flatter finish. Is it dead flat like a lot of acrylics, or is it more of an eggshell?

Any insight would be most appreciated!
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I don't use a crockpot for drying my oils but a drybox. It's a lightbulb of 75 W in a wooden box. And indeed the oils are drying overnight with a flatfinish.

Marc
  3. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    I have used a crock pot for years - one dedicated to drying oils only. Do not use one used for cooking food. Also, to avoid breathing the fumes, do not use the crock pot in the same room where you spend a lot of time while it is on. I use mine in the basement where the fumes can dissipate.

Place the crock pot on "low" and leave the lid slightly adjar. Oils will dry flat in 4-6 hours, depending on the color and oil content. For resin figures, i leave the lid about 1/2 on - so as not to melt the figure. It's always good to drain off the excess oils by placing a dab of paint on a card or other absorbant surface before beginning painitng. I highly recommend a crock pot.
  4. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    Thanks much for the info PJ and Marc!