1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics Question : how do you texture suede ?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Merkava, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Merkava Active Member

France
    Hi all,

I would like to create suede for the border ranch keeper from La Ruota del Tempo.

[IMG]

Do you know tips to do that ?

Cheers.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. Merkava Active Member

France
    Thanks Carl.
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Didier, are you looking to actually add physical texture like suede has at full size? At scale this would generally be vanishingly small.

Einion
  5. Merkava Active Member

France
    You are right. In fact I try to find a good way to paint this kind of texture without necessary adding relief to the texture.
  6. JasonB A Fixture

United-States
    I just did a WWII GI's wool overcoat in 120mm, and I wanted to add that well known wool texture to it (which I think would be very similar to suede). First I airbrushed it with an acrylic color slightly darker than the final color I wanted, as a primer. Then I mixed a batch of oil paint to the final color I wanted the coat to be and stippled it on with one of my worn out brushes. You can add as much or as little texture as you want this way. While the paint was still wet, I went back and stippled on darker and lighter shades, until they started to blend in with the first coat. This adds depth, and the US Wool coat had lighter and darker specks on it as well. This might be a good way to do suede, can't hurt to try. That is if you want to delve into oils a bit. I think it could be done with acrylics if you used a wetting medium to keep them from drying out, but the oils are a lot easier. Tube acrylic might be an option as well.
    HTH
    Jason
    Merkava and Steve like this.
  7. Merkava Active Member

France
    Thanks. I am going to try.
  8. Einion Well-Known Member

Looking at the figure I realise I'm not actually sure which item(s) you want to do with a suede finish! But I think only the hat might be commonly suede, assuming it's sculpted the right way - if it has a seamless crown then it's felt.

To paint suede convincingly what you want to do is recreate the characteristic colours - slightly pale, low contrast and with a matt finish. Like with a lot of things it's worth working from photos of the real thing if you want it to look realistic:
    http://stuff4horses.com/images/5H23lead.jpg
    http://www.walkabout.com/images/i/hat-wk-zepher-st-gunsmoke.jpg
    http://www.sterlingleather.com/productimages/product_13395_9292.jpg

Einion