1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Question from observation

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Saginaw79, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Saginaw79 New Member

United-States
    I am in no way new to the modeling world, and have been doing models, mostly military, for years.

I have noticed that most of y'all will assemble a model completely then paint it. May I ask why? I usually do some assembling then paint, but my figure is mostly apart when i paint etc
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    I hate painting a figure in seperate parts for a few reasons, the main reason being that it is hard to assemble the figure once everything is painted to a satisfactory level. The other is I just dislike having to paint 4-5 different subassemblies. So if at all possible, I will assemble the whole piece, perhap one subasembly such as a hand with a rifle or something is doable, but more then that is just a hassle. Lazy I know!
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    I do it to avoid repainting them as gluestains usually end up in the wrong places. Putty and filler between parts etc.

There are some exceptions depending on the layout of the figure. But I do the same in tanks, planes and cars if I can. But mostly on planes and cars you have to do the interior first.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Assembling the figure before painting allows you to paint the figure without having to handle it too much. Avoid handling your figures once they are primed to avoid getting oils from your skin on the surface of the figure. Most painters will assemble the figure first, wash it in warm soapy water, dry it and then mount it on a painting base to allow easy handling.

Try to avoid getting finger prints on your models by holding the figure with a tissue or cloth when moving it from the painting base onto the display base.

The other advantage of painting a fully assembled figure is you get to see how the different colours and effects relate to each other as a whole. The aim is to create a harmonious overall effect.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I paint and asseble a figure as I go. being careful with glue excesses I have never had a problem. I don't see how some painters assemble the whole figure.....then paint it.
  6. Saginaw79 New Member

United-States
    I may have to try it, just to see as Ive been doing it my way for a long time.
  7. khorgor Member

Australia
    assembling before painting also ensures that you avoid the glue misting problem.

plus, assembly might also reveal problems like putty work that needs to be done. I know you would test this before painting...but better safe than sorry ;-)
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Seams like it works either way. All ways are good except the bad ones.

I think it depends on the things you are more confident in.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    If some parts are hard to get to when assembled and the joint will not be seen (inside a sleeve.) then I will assemble after painting. All joints get pinned to insure correct fitting. So sometimes I assemble all and sometimes not dependent on the figure and access to the brushes. Each figure is different.
    Cheers
    John
  10. Einion Well-Known Member

I like to paint in subassemblies as much as possible, primarily because you can't get a brush to everything you can see. But sometimes certain parts need to be attached ahead of time. It's a balancing act with some models, and experience and thinking ahead certainly help avoid getting into hot water at the end of a project!

Einion
  11. Saginaw79 New Member

United-States
    I remember when I hit that mark, when you override instructions because you know better etc; or do them in different orders as experience dictates
  12. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    I sculpt neally all my work so I actually have to break to model to unassemble it but also use sub assemblies for kits etc - then again friend spray paint compted kits by masking details so it is also done different with armour/ plane models - depends on how you approach the subject - I am so used to painting small scale figures (15mm) that that has influence me when painting larger models- but always look to doing things better ,slower,faster,brighter ,duller
    Ian
  13. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    All sage advice and personally, I prefer completing the figure as much as possible. But I don't think there is a right or wrong way on this one. Each project will dictate the degree of completion vs sub-assembly. The important factor is to take the time to dry fit the figure and after careful observation decide to what degree you can assemble the piece.