1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Question: color Grenadier Guards Inkerman, Crimea

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by Patrick Kamsma, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Hello

Maybe there is a threat already but I can't find it.

The jackets of the Grenadier Guards, are they supossed to be grey or is there some blue in it?
    Lots of artworks use blues, even in bright tones. I can't figure out which are correct. There's so much to find.
    What Vallejobase colours and highlights would you use?
    Gr Patrick

Blue-ish grey
    [IMG]

Full grey

[IMG]

Blue

[IMG]
  2. mick3272 A Fixture

Hi,
    The Colours that suit the greatcoats are
    70.964 Field Blue
    70.900 French Mirage Blue
    70.943 Grey Blue.
    If you work around these you wont go far wrong.
    Mick
    Nap and clrsgt like this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In line with a recommendation I found somewhere on here (don't ask me where, I can't remember!) I used a mix of Vallejo German Grey and some Prussian Blue for the base, with some darker greys added to the base colour for the shades, and Vallejo Light Flesh added for the highlights.

The end result looked right to me, but as with most things there is no "one correct" recipe because the real thing will also vary due to factors such as fabric/dye source, weathering & wear, natural fading etc.

Bottom line: Play around with your paints and if what you end up with looks "right" to you, then it probably is!

- Steve
    Nap, clrsgt and DaddyO like this.
  4. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Since I have Gordon Mitchell's version of "The Roll Call" to do I think this is going to be an interesting thread to follow. Steve's comments about the variables in color are well taken and I think that varying the color of the grey greatcoats is a good idea. Thanks Mick and Steve for the color recipes. It should be interesting to see what color blends PFers may provide.
  5. moz A Fixture

England
    This is an actual overcoat imported by the Confederate army from British surplus stock. I think the colour is about right.

3020592_orig.jpg
    Scotty, JonH, Babelfish and 1 other person like this.
  6. Nap A Fixture

England
  7. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Remember that after a few months (or even weeks) in the field the colour of the uniforms would be weathered and faded.

Mike
  8. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  9. Scotty Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Anybody know when they stopped putting the facing colours on SNCO's cuffs?
  10. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Thanks everyone for the massive input.
    I will go with the Vallejo dark German Grey working my way up to cold grey with a hint of blue.