1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Question about acrylics for limited palette

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by gazer, Nov 4, 2021.

1. gazer Active Member

Israel
    Hello all,

I started to assemble a limited palette of single-pigment acrylics, based on Michael Wilcox's book "Blue and Yellow Don't make Green", and his concept/system of 6 primary colors. Had no problem finding 5 of the 6. However, I just couldn't find any brand of acrylic paints who uses pigment PR83 for a Crimson.
    Do you know of any such acrylic paint which is pure PR83? My search for alternative pigments yielded options such as PR112, PR264, PR177, PR179, all more easily available. Before I choose one and make a purchase, I would like to know if any of you have other recommendations or comments about alternative pigment of a "red leaning toward violet" ?

Thank you for your help,

Benny
    Tecumsea likes this.
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  3. DeanM Member

United-Kingdom
    Hello Benny

If you have not already come across the following website, it provides a lot of information on pigments. You will need to burrow into it a little bit but under the PR83 entry there is a discussion on potential alternatives. It is written for the watercolour artist but pigments are the same across all mediums.
    http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/palette1.html

Regards, Dean
    gazer, Nap and housecarl like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Interesting question and I've learnt something from looking at the links

Nap
  5. gazer Active Member

Israel
    Thank you everybody for the useful information!
    I ordered a tube of a color based on PR179, which seems to be a red with some blue reflection, which is what I was looking for
    Nap likes this.