1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Queen's Rangers, FeR Mini, Sword&Brush fig

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, Dec 20, 2015.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all
    Been awhile since I've posted... not because I haven't done anything but because I haven't been happy with what I've done. I put everything else up once I got this fig and dug into it. Here's where I'm at so far...
    The fig is from FeR Miniatures and is the commemorative fig for the first annual Sword & Brush show in Toronto, Canada. It's a 75mm representing a Queen's Ranger during the Battle of Brandywine Station during the AWI. I used this as my painting guide..
    9ae44283ecd882516be258afa32d3840.jpg
    So far, I'll call the face and the coat 90% done. I couldn't be happier with the flatness of the dark green using the Scale 75 paints. The leather crown of the headgear is done, as is the turban. The tall front of the cap is just based, as is the hair.
    DSC02243.JPG DSC02244.JPG DSC02245.JPG DSC02246.JPG DSC02247.JPG DSC02248.JPG DSC02249.JPG DSC02254.JPG DSC02255.JPG DSC02256.JPG DSC02257.JPG DSC02262.JPG DSC02263.JPG
    Perhaps after the Raiders' game I'll take a shot at starting the white small clothes :nailbiting: I hate painting white :shifty:

As always, any and all comments, critiques or helpful hints are most welcome.

Thanks for looking in

Colin

Attached Files:

Eludia, pgarri27, stoffy01 and 14 others like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Coming together nicely. A great fig. And you have avoided the trap of going too light in the green coat. Have a great Christmas and New Year bud!
    sd0324 and ChaosCossack like this.
  3. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    That green is spot on, my friend! Your magic palette will be very much appreciated! ;)
    Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The face looks very good, and a nice start on the uniform.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    Like the sideways glance you've given this guy, Colin - kinda like the looks I get after one of my "jokes" at the SWOFC meetings; where's Fernando when you need him? ;)

Seasons best to you and yours amigo!

Brian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx for the kind words gentlemen...

Colin, I treated the green like I do blue... as we have discussed umpteen times, I'd much rather use lows than highs to create the impression of depth. All the best to you and the tribe, see you in the new year, brother!

Zeno, the green is done with Scale 75... Base- Black Forest Green + Walnut + Black... HL- Base + Golden Flesh... Shade- Base + Black

Brian, seeing as he was leaning slightly forward with his head cocked I just extended the "looking left" to his eyes. I'm going to have him peeking around a tree looking for the next rebellious Yank to put a hunk of loyal hot lead into... just like when you make a joke at SWOFC meetings... Happy HoHo to the Wildfong tribe and the best in 2016.

I worked on the white tonight...

Did I mention I hate painting white?

Colin
    Eludia and tiberius57 like this.
  7. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Coming along nicely Colin. Looking forward to the finished figure.

Chris
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Great stuff, Colin, that's a determined look you've given him; works well. Liking your greens,too.(y)

Alan
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Good work so far! Nice green ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. swralph A Fixture

Looking good Colin.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking superb Colin, I was also drawn to this figure but brought some busts instead.
    Superb job so far
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent - I've just started this one myself, and what a figure it is.
    Interesting to see what you've done with that band around the bonnet.
    From my references there are a few variation one can do with the waistcoat and breeches in terms of what colour they can be painted.
    Good luck mate and well done thus far.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I dunno what your references are, but these are what I'm using. The brown breeches are apparently ones commonly used in winter. I hope they help.......

56454203ee290f743cda287aa5c5242f.jpg

abe5a985f24b8a929a99babe398747df.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  15. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  16. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Also I have images from the unsurpassed Blandford but, but I couldn't be bothered to scan them.Let me know if they're any use.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  17. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    That's looking very promising Colin (y)!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Joe
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Huw63 A Fixture

Switzerland
    Hey bro

Figured you'd been busy and good to see you back, looks good and I like the way you've tackled the green.

Finally merry xmas to you and your loved ones.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

This should be good.

Steve
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. Mike Stevens A Fixture

United-States
    Looking for ward to seeing this one done Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.