1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Queen Boudicca of the Iceni

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by bistray, May 25, 2014.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Paul ,

Where to start ...this is top notch modelling the amount of work that has gone in to the chariot is amazing ...great SBS , as for the figures , love the way of thinking with "B" rousing her troops before battle , as for the driver , lovely pose .

The horse is brilliant looking forward to seeing the other and the finished scene

Painting really good as well (especially the travel rug as Taff E put it!!)

..this is going to be something very special ...are you donating it to the British Museum ..I am sure they would love to have it ..its an amazing piece of work based on their information

THANKS for sharing

Nap
  2. Ray Welshman Active Member

Amazing work, really looking forward to the finished product .

Cheers

Ray
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Awe-inspiring.

Mike
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Superb paint work to match the sculpt (y)
    Steve
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Amazing work.
    I go down and forward and again to see every little proces.

Marc
  6. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Many many thanks for all the great comments guys
    Nap not sure about the museum, i have had some interest in turning this into a kit, there are a few things to take into consideration I.E. the size, the cost of making it into a kit and then the cost to the buyer for the finished product, but i keep in touch with Dr Joy (great name) at the museum who i know is interested in it, but we will have to see how things pan out
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Here is a few more pics of the chariot as it progressed

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

At this stage i hit my first problem, for some reason the driver didnt sit properly in position, i have no idea why, one minute fine, paint it and then not fine, i get the feeling he was a little bored waiting for me to paint the chariot and him and got the cramp so he shifted :(:mad:. so i had to make a covering for him to sit on

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then did a bit of work on the accoutrements that will go on this, starting with the bow

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Made up part of the horse harness

[IMG]

[IMG]

more to follow and thanks for looking in guys
    theBaron, Ray, NickM and 3 others like this.
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Ah the ability of paint being able to distort figures never ceases to amaze.;)
    Looking superb Paul.(y)
  9. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers Carl, yeah your right who"d have thought it :sneaky:
  10. swralph A Fixture

Absolutely fantastic:)
  11. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul - superb in every aspect, a great build, a great subject, eager to see the finished work!

-Rich
  12. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I’ve seen some amazing work on pF and this is up there with the best. Superb craftsmanship and benefitting from input from the British Museum. Nice little touches, like the use of red and green in the fabric (a Celtic favourite, apparently), the torc and the decoration on the helmet and chariot. Even the horses look right as they were only the size of upland ponies (Exmoor and the like) at this time.

Overall, bloody brilliant!

Jeff
  13. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    once again guys many thanks for the great comments and the enouragement.
    Jeff, many thanks mate, i had long discusions about horses and yes at the time of the Roman invasion horses in this country were of the cob type pony, hardy and tough little animals, the Romans interbread their horses with the local ones in an attempt to get a bigger hardier horse for themselves. The horse i have for this are more full size than ponies but i think they are quite passable for what im doing.

Heres a few pics of the start of the base work, there will come a time shortly where i will have to start putting this all together, so i found a nice piece of bur oak in my stash of timber, cut it to size and routered an edge and then polished it

[IMG]

I want to make the groundwork look quite simple yet put small details in it, so for a start in sculpted a broken tree stump

[IMG]

It will have a pathway for the chariot to sit on with banks on both sides

more to follow
  14. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Now days I don't write comments that often on PF. But
    after seeing the two pages of your incredible SBS/WIP photos
    and text regard your latest project, I just had to take a mo
    and chime in with what the other fine modelers have said
    about your work and mainly, about your post regarding this
    project. First of all, I want to mention, that this kind of
    post is so valuable to those of us who are trying to learn.
    The photos and the text are just so well done. And the thing
    that I keep thinking about and want to sincerely thank you
    for, is ALL the time you spent, shooting the pictures, and writing the
    text for this thread on Planet Figure. Not an easy task and really
    quite time consuming. Thank you so sincerely for taking the
    time to make your project so clear to all of us. Congratulations
    on such wonderful work. Obviously, you're a very talented artist.
    I'm reminded, as I look at your work, of how sometimes this hobby
    can be raised to the realm of "Work of Art". . . Indeed. . .
    My heart felt thanks to you, Sir. . . wow, what an inspiration!!
    The Miami Jayhawk
    Scotty and Rich Sculpts like this.
  15. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is simply brilliant and what an original and refreshingly different subject. Deeply impressive skills and creative imagination being exhibited here.

Gary
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marvelous! Museum quality modeling!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Superb, how this is coming together is amazing it is as said a work of art
    Steve
  18. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    WOW i am completely humbled by the replies and comments here, I really am at a loss for words, especially when there is such a wealth of talent on this forum, This project has been the longest for me so far and i have to admit at times i thought i would never get it finished but its getting there slowly, so i will keep plugging away at this and posting my progress as i go and once again many many thanks for the great support
  19. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Just to give you a little tempter, i decided to put together what i had finished to see how it looked and to make sure that it fit together ok

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So this is the way that it will be shown on the base with B in the back rousing the troops.
    theBaron, Ray, NickM and 1 other person like this.
  20. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    As you can see from this picture i still have the lynch pins to make. Ive left these off at the mo so that i could take the wheels off if needed but also because they are quite a complicated bit to make. They consist of a metal S shaped bar with a leather strap which goes around the axle, ties off at the bar top and bottom and then loops back on itself. It not only served as a means to hold the wheel onto the axle but also as a quick release mechanism so that the wheel could be changed quickly

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is the front part of the chariot with the yoke which sits over the horse cover. This is attached to the horse by means of crossover straps which go under the girth. it then has the loops on the top through which the trace reins and the centre spa straps go through

[IMG]

[IMG]

So thats the chariot for now and i moved on to dobbin MKII.
    This is a pic of the basic horse

[IMG]

I didnt plan on changing this very much, just alter the odd leg here or there. So first up i lined up the front legs and then changed the rear right leg into the relaxed position.

[IMG]

[IMG]

having looked at it then i decided to alter the head position slightly

[IMG]

Then added the horse cover and primed it

[IMG]

[IMG]

there were a few imperfections on it that needed sorting but other than that it was ready for painting
    theBaron, Ray, NickM and 4 others like this.