1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Queen Boudicca of the Iceni

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by bistray, May 25, 2014.

1. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi all
    I thought i would share with you some pictures of a project ive been doing since May last year. I wanted to do a scene of Boudicca in her chariot and initially got in touch with the British museum to see if they had any plans or drawings of an Iron age chariot. I had a brilliant email back from a Dr Jody Joy, not only containing ref pictures but also a scale plan of a reconstruction chariot that had been built from parts found in graves.
    The chariot is made from styrene and dowel, the figures are scratched using mannequin bases and the horses are converted, and here is a selection of photos to show where i am to date. I hope you like them and any feedback is appreciated

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This was the chassis for the chariot, the top part consisted of a base and a fighting platform which had suspension in the form of hoops attached to the base and the platform suspended from it on leather straps. More than the Romans had,

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is the fighting platform frame that had a crosswork of leather straps

[IMG]

[IMG]

This then had 2 bracers that it sat on and these in turn sat on the leather straps on the hoops. Also all of the timber joints were iron pinned and then lashed together with wet leather, which when dried would pull the joints in tight

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[
    This is the basic chariot made up, still lots of things to add to it but these would come later.

I then started work on the first figure which was to be the driver. I used a mannequin base for the figure and then sculpted the clothes and armour on it. All of the clothing and armour detail came from the British museum, as in the style and colours
    I gave the driver a fairly relaxed pose just holding the horse team still so that Boudicca could speak to the troops on the eve of the Battle of Watling Street

I will show some more pics soon, as i said ive been at this for over a year, on and off, at present i am quite close to the finish
    all for now

Paul
    Manfred, GARRY, Ray and 11 others like this.
  2. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Heres a few pics of the driver

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And a few pics of the first horse

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

More to follow thanks for looking in

Paul
    Manfred, GARRY, kaz6120 and 11 others like this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive Paul.(y)
  4. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    nice sbs, love the figure, I will be watching this thread closely.

cheers Zane
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Very nice Paul watching with interest
    Steve
  6. maco61 A Fixture

Italy
    Very interesting SBS.
    I follow it with great pleasure and attention.
    Ciao by Maco
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic - a cracking scratchbuild and sculpt

Steve(y)
  8. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Stunning!

Can't wait to see the next installments....

All the best,
    Jon.
  9. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Many thanks for all the great comments guys, as i said i started this way back in May last year so ive got quite a few more pics to put up before its bought up to date so heres a few more

This is the start of Boudicca

[IMG]

[IMG]

I decided to do Boudicca as a fighting woman with mans attire on and, not as is normally shown, with her wearing a dress

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I may still add something to the headband but not to sure yet.
    At this stage i decided to get the brushes out and slap some paint on. Starting with the chariot, although they were painted ive gone for woody colours for the base and painted decoration, on a quick note on the chariot, not only did it have suspension,as i said previously, it also had quite a unique wheel composition, whereas the Roman wheel was made in segments on the rim and jointed at each segment making 8 possible week points, the Iceni chariots wheel rim was made from one piece and steamed into shape around a former making only one joint and therefore much stronger, in all the Rolls Royce of chariots
    Primer added

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

more to follow
    theBaron, Ray, ChaosCossack and 5 others like this.
  10. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Museum quality!

This is what I love to see, creativity and learning all rolled into one.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Just to get a break from the chariot i started the driver, primed and base coated in black, im using acrylic paint BTW

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I had a great list of colours for tartans from the museum so i decided to make his cloak tartan with greens, yellows and red, the next few pics show the process i used

[IMG]

[IMG]

First it was base coated and then the base coat was highlighted and shaded

[IMG]

[IMG]

i then added the blue check

[IMG]

[IMG]

Each line of the blue was then highlighted and shaded and then the yellow was added

I then added the yellow, which bisected the green squares and then a thin red line in the centre of the blue, if that makes sense

[IMG]

[IMG]

After that each red and yellow line was shaded and highlighted

[IMG]

I then repeated the process for the rest of the cloak

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

also added a fur collar to the top

Paul
    theBaron, Ray, ChaosCossack and 7 others like this.
  12. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers bud, glad you like it

one more update for tonight

The beauty of this build is there was so much to paint and sculpt, so if i got fed up with sculpting i could do some painting, and if i got fed up with painting the chariot i could do the figure or the horse so it kept it interesting.
    so moving on to the first horsem i decided that the pair were going to be opposites, one a Skewbald and one a Piebald, for the unninitiated thats a brown and white one and a black and white one.

Starting with the Skewbald, primered and then base coated in white. Because the horses are so big i work on them in sections

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

For the splodges i used burnt sienna with mocha and burnt umber for the shading and white added to the base for highlights

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

These last few are the finished horse apart from the harness which will be added when i put the whole thing together
    I will post some more tomorrow

Paul
    theBaron, Ray, ChaosCossack and 6 others like this.
  13. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb work on the plaid cloak (and on everything else you have done so far on this ambitious project). And a useful SBS too. Look forward to seeing progress.
    Cheers
    Mat
  14. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Paul, this is really looking good. I especially like the way you are doing the chariot. Am I right in thinking that the figure size is about 100mm? This looks a great project, well done.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  15. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers Mat plenty more to follow

Gary many thanks mate, i did the whole thing in 1/16 scale so 120mm its going to be quite a big thing when its complete. note to self put up a new shelf :(
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  16. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bloody hell Paul that is awesome you clever bugger gone right off you , lol the step by step is fantastic really is I have been looking at a cloak like that I will be doing for a Celt ad that is just the one looks like a travel my mom had lol do you mind if I use your guide for mine love your art work and the scratch work as said is museum quality fantastic
    Cheers Chris
  17. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Travel rug I ment lol
  18. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers Chris. Be my guest mate as I said I have a great list of plaid colours used by various Celtic tribes from the museum, whatever colours you use the process will be the same
  19. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    This is a really cool project. I love doing scratch building projects like this myself. You're doing a fine job on the sculpting and painting. I'll definitely be following this project.
    Gerald
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Aweome work Paul.
    Thanks for sharing it with us,
    Keith