1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pvt H Cooper. 2nd Battalion. Coldstream Guards.

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by NRG, Mar 26, 2023.

1. NRG Active Member

Last summer while in France we visited several First Works War sites including the Thiepval Memorial where my wife’s great uncle Harold is listed as having no known grave.
    The visit inspired me to undertake further research and make a figure in memory of Harold.
    He was killed on the 16th September 1916 as the Battalion tried to take their 3rd objective during the battle of Flers Courcelette, which was one of the many offensives that took place along the River Somme that year and that collectively became known as the Battle of the Somme.
    By researching regimental records and overlaying maps of the time on to Google Earth I have been able to identify roughly where Harold was killed. To walk those fields was a moving experience.
    The attack of the “Lilywhites” was illustrated by R Caton Woodville in the Illustrated London News. See below. A lot of artistic license was used. I suspect for example that the Battalion didn’t arrive at their objectives in such order!
    The bust itself is in 1/6 scale and used at its core a commercial bust by Loggerheads. A great value bust but it did require a little work, reshaping the back of the head, the cap etc. I filled in the “hollow” back, added the pack, helmet, rifle and the appropriate straps and buckles etc.
    The Guards battalions didn’t go in for much insignia believing that their smartness and discipline would let everyone know that they were the Guards! I have modelled the brass “CG” and Tudor rose on the shoulders and the II on each sleeve denoting the second battalion. The bust was then “bronzed”. The two badges on the sides of the base were bought in the Thiepval Memorial gift shop.
    I hope I have done Uncle Harold justice!

8CEA05CE-9078-4B89-8B01-28BABFDA9DF0.jpeg EB8C8447-834A-4E89-BB1F-19D25A07A392.jpeg 5B476147-9449-4C7C-9D08-436642488A49.jpeg 697C5D04-60EC-4B45-BDBE-720D3B4E1394.jpeg 5DF07C81-2F44-4D00-B20E-BF71FD42D38E.jpeg
    razor, outrunthedogs, NigelR and 8 others like this.
  2. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Excellent work

Mobo
  3. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant and a great tribute and keepsake.
    Gary