1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Puttees: how to sculpt/model them?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dani A., Sep 1, 2006.

1. Dani A. New Member

Hello,

I would like to have some advice on sculpting/modelling puttees in figures. Using actual bandages (well, a more to-scale equivalent) and wounding them on the figure's legs like it was for real does not work because they look overscale and unrealistic - they do not adjust to the calves properly neither.

Any ideas?
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Dani,

I used pinstripers tape on the 75mm doughboy I did for The Lost Battallion. I have also experimented with adhesive copper tape. The latter would probably look more in scale for 54mm.
  3. Milorg Member

Norway
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I've used both pinstripe type map tape and sculpted them in various putties. The putty method works better for me. I tried unsuccessfully once to lightly impress a 'rough fabric' look on some sculpted putties only to completely demolish them! :angry: Can't help you much beyond that. Keep trying!

One of the things to remember is that (at least in the British Army) putting them on properly so that they did not unwind or slump was taught by NCOs. If you are interested, try searching the Great War forum site - I think there was a discussion of winding putties properly sometime ago.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Einion Well-Known Member