1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"put in the boy's"-ACW vignette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Aug 9, 2004.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi ALL, here's what I'm working on. It's a vignette depicting Virginia Military Institute cadets at the battle of New Market, Virginia in May 1864.

This will be a collaboration piece, with our own "Mud Master" Kreston Peckham, doing the painting.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    This is my first time engineering a figure for someone else to paint. So,
    I want to make it as easy as possible for him to paint without having him break out the putty later on and sculpt hands or what not. Besides, this will give me a little practice, should I decide to do something commercial.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. y_wong New Member

Hello Jason,

Looks good. I will definitely be following this thread.

regards
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Here's the finished officer. I had to resculpt his sword hand because it looked too large.
    The tough part for painting will be negotiating around the scabbard holding hand. This, in my mind, has to be finished. Like I said, I don't want Kreston to worry about playing with putty or attaching the scabbard slings later on.

Thanks for looking. More later~

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. Hardy Guest

Superb..........as usual :)
  5. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Yeah! excellent as usual Jason! great looking drapery as well
  6. JCOX PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very nice Jason, looking forward to see more!

-jim cox
  7. PeteC Member

Nice work Jason. That officer's sash looks amazingly delicate. Is that rolled out Magic Sculp or something else?
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Super Jason. Great subject too.
  9. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guy's!

Pete, yes it's MS. I wanted to keep it close to the body, so as to not get in the way of the brush, yet look convincing enough for the body's movement.

The sword and scabbard are my biggest worries. They're both made of cured MS. After three frustrating attempts with "shaving" plastic card, I decided to try MS and it turned out pretty well but very brittle too. :( I coated the sword with Zap-a-Gap, then lightly sanded it with fine steel wool. I hope that will give it extra strength...so far it has, since I had to re-sculpt the hand and not to mention couple "drops" to the floor. :eek:
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Splendid work mate.
  11. callum Member

Excellent work Jason. :)

Regards Callum.
  12. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Absolutely stunning work,Jason.
    I hope someday could paint a commercial figure modelled by you.
    regards
    jaume
  13. amherbert Member

Hi Jason

The completed figure looks superb. I can't wait to see him covered in mud...

Andy
  14. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Jason , that looks fantastic.Nice animation and sculpting

Stephen Mallia
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great to see you back in action Jason! Very nicely done, that figure is a very nice one for sure, looking forward to the rest!
  16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guy's! Appreciate the kind words.

Figure two is half complete. Will post when finished.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Now that my computer is on it's way to recovering I'd like to echo everyone else's comments, fantastic. Your sculpting gets better and better by the figure. Keep it up buddy.~Gary
  18. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Jason, extreemly well done, my friend, the officer is beautifully sculpted.(y)
    I can't wait see the rest of the vignette come together. ;)

Keep up the great work.

Cheers.
    Roc. :)
  19. Manfred Active Member

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this joint Jason-Kreston project !
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I'm a bit curious, did the cadets not carry Belgian or Austrian weapons? I do not have a book handy to confirm as the thought just occured to me.~Gary