1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Purely Subjective (but I'm right ....naturally)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by DEL, Feb 21, 2020.

1. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Been busy prepping Castle's magnificent Tu mea sola socium, Landsknecht and superb as it is it got me thinking about the many pieces I have in the GA that I regard as the finest in-scale models I have.
    In other words my absolute favourites. All purely subjective
    1. 120mm Grenadier Miniatures (Stu from Stormtroopers) Black Watch Officer, Crimea
    GMF12002 top.jpg
    2. 90mm Poste Militaire. Mamluk. Possibly the best figure ever produced. Sculpting and casting second to none.
    post-149-1126786931.jpg
    3. 75mm. (for me toughest to choose) between two, Stormtroopers Border Reiver and Bill Sikes from Miniaturas Fortes Sikes got it.
    IMGP0984.jpg
    3. 54mm Pegaso Miniatures Irish Knight. (best chainmail in scale bar none)
    post-1-1146387047.jpg
    4. Bust Stormtroopers Border Reiver
    final02__sized_l.jpg
    5. All Scales Mounted. Poste Militaire 90mm Orleans Cavalry Trumpeter.
    3c0c1ce65702ab3a4aa7dd176357fca3 (1).jpg
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice choices Del - Love the Orleans Trumpeter and remember it from long ago; the others are new ones on me, but then I'm a bit blinkered and tend to avoid looking at anything bigger than 54mm; thus cunningly restricting the size of my GA or at least the sizes of the boxes coming into the work room ;)

Obviously I t gives me an excuse to root through my GA to see what I think are the best ones sitting waiting for a lick of paint . . .
    Cheers
    Paul
    DEL likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Del

Nice selection there , I remember the PM trumpeter being on a Mil Modelling cover ....just awesome release then ...and a classic now

Can't disagree about the Reiver bust ....will try and get through my GA but it's going to take a while !!!

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    DEL likes this.
  4. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice choices there, Del - don't believe I could restrict myself to just five. I would have to include PM's Ugrian, sculpted
    by Julian Hullis, in there somewhere ( if only for the superbly animated horse ). The ' Tu mea sola socium ' Condottieri
    that you're working on at the moment, would also be hard to miss out.

Great post !

Mike
    Nap and DEL like this.
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    [quote="fogie, post: 1036172, member: I would have to include PM's Ugrian, sculpted
    by Julian Hullis, in there somewhere ( if only for the superbly animated horse ).

Great post !

Mike[/quote]

The Ugrian was a beauty but for me the animation was a tad too extreme. On the polar opposite is Andreas 90mm Mounted Gothic Knight which although stunning can look a bit like a trophy.
    Everything is subjective, for example I particularly like Carl Reids busts for their intentional irregularities. In other words work produced by an artist rather than an engineer.
    Cheers
    Derek
    fogie and DaddyO like this.
  6. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yep in total agreement Derek - I love seeing the sculptor in the work. (y)
    When I first started I was a big fan of J Bennassi's figures for that very reason; they had character by the bucket load even if a bit simple by today's standard. These days whilst I admire the stunning work by 3D artists I generally am drawn to pieces which have some recognisable hand of the sculptor - it may be in the style (Metal Modeles anyone?) or in the way in which fabrics or faces are handled.

Got to love this hobby :D
    Paul
    Blind Pew, Nap and DEL like this.
  7. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good points, Gents. One of the real joys of this platform is to compare different views. Personally I couldn't warm to Julian Benassi's stuff - he used
    plasticine as his sculpting medium and to me it always showed. Back in the day, for me there were just a few really good sculptors - Lamb of course,
    Richards, Horton, Hullis, perhaps a couple of others. Today there seems to be a lot more of them and our choices far greater. To choose the best figures
    available today would be really difficult - but that's good...right?

Mike
    Blind Pew, OldTaff, Banjer and 4 others like this.
  8. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You should form a queue outside Specsavers. You're all wrong!

A) 120mm goes to the Kirin Highland Clansman. Hands down.
    B) 90mm has to go to the Stormtrooper Miniatures Iroquis Indian by Carl Reid. A figure so good I still cannot decide which its best angle is.
    c) 75mm....the winner is Pegaso Aristides. So good I did it as soon as it arrived through the door. Literally.
    D) 54mm Le Cimier's La Salle has never been bettered. I still can't believe it's a single casting.
    E) Busts ~ for me, I'd have to say the Poste Militaire Blood Warrior. Or maybe Rainy Mountain Charlie. Years old, I know, but still the benchmark for every miniature bust ever since.
    F) Mounted ~ very difficult. RP Models 74mm Parthia Catafrari (the one on the camel.) Flawless.

Stay tuned for next week, when I will probably have changed my mind!

I agree though gents, aren't we lucky to work with such gems?
    DEL and Martin64 like this.
  9. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    tough job to decide but in 120mm I vote for the Highlander by Mike Go(o)d which was likewise finished when it arrived.... good times
    IMG_4138.jpg

90mm - I like one of Carl Reids scuplts best - when he still had the time to care about details and anatomy more extensively than today (picture from the GA) - of course just my view and the 95th Rifles Sergeant by the late Richard Almond (picture courtesy of an unknown modeller)

Cheyenne Warrior 2.png Almond Sculptures 95th Rifles.jpg

75mm-wise I think that Avanpost is setting a new standard with their figures - especially with the new mounted figure
    Avanpost news1.jpg

54mm - too many but IMHO Andrej Bleskine (picture courtesy of our member Zeno) and Raoul Latorre (picture from my own cabinet) stand out
    Castle Miniatures Andrej Bleskine Halberdier.jpg IMG_2850.JPG

and about busts - far from being an expert but for me Latorre again
    Ufgar.jpg
    Blind Pew, DEL and oldtrousers like this.
  10. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As we're nominating our particular favourites., what about this one ? I think - although I can't
    be certain - that it was sculpted several years ago in 75mm by Sergei Zlobov. Apparently it was a
    private commission and therefore never commercially available. Such a frustration......

image224a.jpg image226a.jpg

Mike
    Blind Pew, DEL, oldtrousers and 2 others like this.