1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Pueblo Indian - ~90% (?)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Russ, Dec 24, 2022.

1. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Hey, all -

This is my latest (fifth) bust, still in-process. It's the Sabot Miniatures 1/12 scale bust, SMFB005. This one has presented a couple of new-ish challenges, and there are a few areas still to be finalized. I'd appreciate any third-party perspectives on improving my work. Thanks! :)
    Pueblo2.jpg Pueblo8.jpg Pueblo11.jpg Pueblo5.jpg
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Russ

Nice sculpt on this , looks good so far , I would redefine the feathers and the beads on the necklaces, push highs a bit more

I would look at the eyes again , can't see a pupil on left ...might be the pic ....have you added a catchlight ?

I like the fleshwork on him , not sure if I may what the green covering is ...or is it putty awaiting paint ?

Often thought about this so it's good to see someone painting this

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Russ likes this.
  3. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Nap!

The eyes need more work, for sure. The beads are definitely due more detailing, too. Not sure what you mean by "redefine the feathers", though.

I generally try to reproduce the box art. In this case, the "shawl" is green in the pictures, although my rendition might be a bit too bright - maybe go a bit more olive? https://www.sabotminiatures.com/Pueblo-Indian-resin-bust-in-1-12-scale-p/smfb005.htm

Happy Holidays, everyone!! :happy:
  4. Russ Active Member

United-States
    COLOR UPDATE: I contacted Jim at Sabot Miniatures, asking about the source info regarding the green "shawl". He advised that the colors on the box art are purely artistic license. Earth tones were the scheme.

That said, I've found nothing online to dispute or confirm that color in that context. Green was apparently used by various tribes, in multiple locales, but I'm beginning to wonder about the material. The sculpted area looks less like fabric and more like a tanned pelt.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Nap likes this.
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The screen on my device wont show the pictures in high enough definition to comment on details, but I would like to second Nap, that the skin tones look good.
    As for the shawl, it looks like leather. I'm not an expert at all on Native American clothing, but my impression is that they wore mostly leather.
    Russ likes this.
  6. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Henk!

Ok, I've done some more internet-based checking. It appears that 1) leather was frequently dyed; 2) naturally-available materials (ores, plants, tree bark, etc.) were used, and 2) green was one of the colors used.

SO - I entertained the idea of taking the shawl to more of an earth-red/brown color, but I've decided - on this one, at least (I also have the 1/6 bust) - I'm happy to stay with the green. Besides, it adds a splash of earth-tone color to a small bust. ;)

Other thoughts?
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Deep cheek bones, I like the stare, too. Excellent work so far!

Some points I see, if I may: Pics are not focussed, we can't see any detail, but you already know that. But, from what I see you are doing a good job. I like the color tones, they seem to be spot on, IMHO, just need some refining of definition, (subtle highlight and shadow blending) but that may be the pics. Need a bit more chest flesh work, definition.

Great start overall, keep going! Cheers, Ski.
    Nap and Russ like this.
  8. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Ski!

You are correct, the pic quality isn't what I'd like. Part of that is messing with lighting, but most of it is using an eight-year-old iPhone 6. oof ...

Just for grins, here are two brighter pics. I've done no further work on this bust since I posted the original pictures.

Are these any better?

Pueblo1a.jpg Pueblo1b.jpg
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Great response for Russ ...what PF is all about

Ref feathers ...I would put a wash over then highlight possibly try drybrushing

Look forward to seeing more from his and everybody's bench

Have fun

Nap
    Russ likes this.
  10. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Pics are much better, good job. From what I'm seeing with these new pics you'll need to blend in the tones for a smoother appearance and work the eyes. It's coming along, so keep going.
    Russ likes this.