1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Pte Samuel Wassall VC, 80th Foot(MI), 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Feb 20, 2015.

1. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

Ive been busy roughing this one out this week, still a very long way to go. A conversion of Richie's recent 24th foot bust, to represent the man in the title. If you refer to my previous post on Sgt Booth VC, Pte Wassall VC's story is explained.

Much surgery involved in this conversion, as I wanted to capture Wassall in the midst of his action. I wanted it to be distinctly different from the Booth conversion, as Wassall was in the Mounted Infantry section of the 80th. Left hand will be holding a Martini Henry carbine (thanks to Steve Readdie!) and he will have a bandolier over the left shoulder. Right arm is reaching out to his comrade in the river and he has a haversack over the right shoulder.

Ive tried to get the young, fresh faced look on this one as Wassall was only 21 when he won his VC.

Thanks again for looking in,

Steve(y)

Attached Files:

crf, Wings5797, smudger1960 and 8 others like this.
  2. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Nice to see you off and running with this conversion of a very brave young man and the first VC winner in the 1879 Zulu War by saving one of his 80th comrades.
    cheers
    Richie
    Dewi Evans likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Can't wait to see this finished, superb workmanship.
    Bob
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments, guys.

Ive still got a long way to go with this one, Im planning on having the right hand outstretched, so I shall remove the fingers, drill out at the knuckle, add wire pins, then re-sculpt. There were several versions of the bandolier, from canvas, leather and leather with top cover, so I shall have to make a decision and then I will complete the haversack from Miliput. The kit's helmet detail was removed because I damaged it whilst removing the bearded head, so I shall have to reinstate that too!

thanks again for looking in, I will post more pics as it progresses,

Steve(y)
  5. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great work Steve.
    I really like your conversion of this fine fellow.
    Cheers
    Keith
  6. Dewi Evans Member

United-Kingdom
    These two conversions caught my eye at the Scale Model World Show at Telford last weekend. I was attracted to the stand several times during the weekend just to admire these excellent conversions. Great work Steve.
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Dewi, I'm glad you liked them!(y)