1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Prussian Infantry Officer WW1

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by stev1eran, May 1, 2006.

1. stev1eran Member

Hi Guys,
    I am having problems identifying the tunic colour for a Prussian Infantry Officer circa 1914. Some references show the tunic as a grey/green colour another shows a grey/blue and one has a prussian blue so I'm not sure which is correct.
    Can anyone provide any good links or suggest an oil colur mix.
    Any information would be gratefully received.
    Thanks
    Steve
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    There were some slight differences in colors, mostly because, like the British, some officers had their tailors make their uniforms vs. using standard "issue" clothing. This happened in all the 1914 armies. It was mostly an early war practice that became expensive and difficult later particularly for the Central Powers. I recommend the Osprey 'The German Army 1914-1918' that includes some illustrations of German officers in 1914-1915. Looks like the colors are mostly right to me. Don't use the Laurent Mirouze book, WWI Infantry. It's very good but shows only 'other ranks' uniforms and wouldn't apply to officer uniform colors. There are some variations of colors of parts of the uniform due to the unit type - Jagers, Guards, and whether or not he's a staff officer, etc. Prussian cocard is black and white, if that's shown. I can send you material if you'd like, but you'll need to send me your e-mail address, OK? You can also try a pretty good militaria web site - http://www.derrittmeister.com.

All the best,
    Dan
  3. stev1eran Member

Hi Dan,
    thank you for the link its excellent, I think I have now found what I am looking for (y)
    Steve
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Glad to help! If you need anything else, let me know.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. dave mosher Active Member

Steve:

This may be a bit late, but here are a couple of pics of M-1910 officer's tunics. As Dan stated, there many variations in shade and color. I typically will take WW2 field grey paint and mix it with varying amounts of dark green, brown, black and white.

Regards

Dave

Some infantry waffenrocks...

[IMG]

Some cavalry waffenrocks, ulankas and an attila...

[IMG]
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dave - Is this your collection, guy? If yes, I'd like to see some more photos of several of them - - the two ulankas and the attilla particularly - - ideally on mannikins. Any chance?

If the collection is yours, I'm green with envy.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I'm with Dan on this one, more pics please! I've a funny feeling they could come in very useful.
    Dave, the braid on the attila looks very green or is that just the photo?

Roger.
  8. dave mosher Active Member

Dan and Roger:

I'm in the process of moving and I won't have access to my mannequins for a couple of weeks. I pulled my tubs of uniforms last night, so I'll take some pics on the floor for now. Here is the attila for the Royal Saxon 3rd Husar Rgt. Nr. 20. There were 17 Prussian husar regiments and 3 Saxon husar regiments. They look basically the same except Prussian officer attilas have black flecking on the gray frogging (Schoitaschierung) vs. Saxon officer attilas with green flecking.

Regards

Dave

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  9. dave mosher Active Member

Dan:

Here are the two M-1910 officer ulankas. The first is an oberleutnant for the Ulan Rgt. Nr. 19 (1. Wurttemberg). There were 16 Prussian, 3 Saxon, 2 Wurttemberg and 2 Bavarian uhlan regiments. Only four uhlan regiments wore litzen on the collar and cuff on the feldgrau ulanka: the three prussian guard ulan regiments and Ulan Rgt. Nr. 19.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. dave mosher Active Member

Dan

This is the M-1910 officer's ulanka for Ulan Rgt. Nr. 16. Only the 12th and 16th have two piping combinations (white and pale blue). The tunic is attributed to Lt. Hans Deetjen, who was killed in March 1918.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you very much for posting those Dave. You've got a lovely collection there.
    The pics will come in very handy when I get around to painting The Fusilier Hussar figure.
    Good luck with the house move.
    Cheers,

Roger.
  12. dave mosher Active Member

Roger

Thanks for the comments. Keep in mind, these are all officer tunics and there are some distinctions between these and for other ranks tunics. If you have any specific questions, or would like for me to post some other tunics you are interested in seeing, let me know.

Regards

Dave
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Dave, as you may have seen in another thread I'm going away for a month but when I get back I'll be in touch.

Regards,

Roger.