1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Prussian Hussar Conversion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sven, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Sven A Fixture

Dear Planeteers,
    a while ago, I purchased this great bust (1:10 scale) of a Prussian hussar (1870/81) by Stormtrooper Miniatures. It sat on my shelf collecting dust since then, waiting for the right moment. Apart from other projects, I didn’t start this bust for a reason. Despite hussars are famous for their bold colors, I knew I wanted to paint a hussar from the 2nd (Queen Victoria of Prussia’s) Life Hussar Regiments. The tunic of this regiment was black with white buttons and braiding and a white busby bag – black and white were the Prussian colors after all. The main problem, however, was not the color scheme but the fact that this particular regiment wore a silver Totenkopf (death’s head) busby. With no death’s head on the original cast, I was forced to do some conversion work, which I have no big experiences with. Here is the box art:
    IMG_E2306.JPG

And here is the real deal:
    unnamed (2).jpg 220px-Victoria_Louise_Uniform_Color.jpg

And this is what I was able to create:
    IMG_E2304.JPG IMG_E2305.JPG

Let me know, what you think.
    Regards from Berlin.
    Sven
    Manfred, Scotty, Paul Kernan and 9 others like this.
  2. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done so far
    Sven likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Sven

No experience ....I think not my friend ....that looks great on the busby ...are you not adding the scroll above ?.....

nicely painted

Good fleshtones on this as well

Keep the references coming

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Sven likes this.
  4. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Imressive conversion work Sven! You nailed it!:)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Sven likes this.
  5. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's a very good "deaths head" nice conversion too.
    Sven and Nap like this.
  6. khollar A Fixture

United-States
    The “deaths head” looks dead-on to me (all puns intended). Beautiful work on the conversion so far!

Kurt
    Nap and Sven like this.
  7. Sven A Fixture

Hi Nap,

...are you not adding the scroll above ?.....

Not sure about the ribbon. You would not be able to see a lot of it and it would make the "Pelzmütze" (busby) very busy. Maybe a little too much “visual interest”…
    I will finish the rest of the bust first before I decide about the ribbon.

Anyway, thank for your interest in my piece.

Sven
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Thanks for the reply

Always got interest in your modelling Sven ..

Couple if books on Prussian hussars ..slightly later but nevertheless highly recommended from Schiffer

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Found pic of the Princess colourised interesting it's been laced as gold image.gif

Look forward to more on this

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Chris Oldfield, captnenglish and Sven like this.
  9. misfit151 A Fixture

Great concept and looking forward to more.....(y). Mike
    Sven and Nap like this.
  10. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Nice work so far Sven. The totenkopf is very neatly done, and I think it makes the figure. FPW is a favourite period of mine.
    Interesting to study Nap's colourised photo. There is a wealth of minor detail in there.

Phil
    Sven likes this.
  11. Sven A Fixture

Thank you Mike and Phil!

Nap,

thanks for sharing the pictures. I found a very similar picture too but I assume the colorization is off. The braiding should be in an off-white, no gold, regardless if the tunic was worn by officers or soldiers. The toggle-buttons, however, should be turned and not smooth as shown in the picture. Prior to 1888 both, officers and soldiers, wore the fancy type of buttons, after 1888 the soldiers used smooth buttons instead. The 2nd Life Hussar Regiment was allowed to wear a “V” for Queen Victoria on their (black) shoulder pieces. I doubt if I will be able to paint that. For reference, I use this great book with hundreds of colored photographs. Highly recommended.
    Die-deutsche-Kavallerie-von-1871-1914-Ulrich-Herr-Jens-Nguyen_b3.jpg
    :)
    Sven
    Nap likes this.
  12. Cannonball A Fixture

Great job on the deaths head badge Sven and lovely start on the rest of the painting.

Neal
    Sven likes this.
  13. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Not to hijack Sven's thread, but I would love to see a figure or bust based on this photo of Princess Viktoria Luise.
    Sven likes this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Likewise https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/the-second-prinzesin-viktoria-luise.35333/

That's another great book Sven ...currently straining my books shelves along with all the others from the series !

Must admit I agree ref that gold lace on the picture ...certainly looks good in a uniform though !

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Sven (y)

Personally I'd go for the scroll but I think the problem is that the original bust's pelzmütze/busby isn't very tall to easily allow one (they seem to have varied in height- as did the badge), so, as you say, it could get rather 'busy'.
    Col5.JPG Col1.JPG Col2.JPG Col7.JPG

Adding to Nap's reply to Captnemglish... two versions on this site:
    https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/prinzesin-viktoria-luise.35857/
    https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/the-second-prinzesin-viktoria-luise.35333/

It was a limited release from Ulrich: https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/upcoming-releases-from-ulrich-puchala.34465/

And, thanks to Nap's link (note the brown headgear): http://www.hussards-photos.com/Allemagne/Allemagne_2HR_CPA_ViktoriaLuise.htm

... and this jaunty looking duo (Russian Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana):

Col4.JPG
  16. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you NeilW, I did not know or had forgotten that bust existed. I suspect it may be a bit difficult to locate now, but I don't mind a hunt.
  17. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Well done!
    Sven likes this.