1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Prussian Cuirassier, 1870-71

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by garyjd, Feb 26, 2004.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I really only need info on the uniform from the waist up, though I'd appreciate info on everything. This is what I need at a minimum.

Helmet
    Cuirass
    cartridge box
    jacket
    cavalry sabre

It's for a future project and it's hard finding stuff on the subject. Thanks.~Gary
  2. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
  3. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
  4. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
  5. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Now, I'm not sure, this could be a 1914 model.... but I figure it's quite similar, perhaps even unchanged since 1870...
  6. Luis R. Active Member

Spain
    Try here:
    Grosser-Generalstab

Though not very clear drawings, they may be of some help.

BTW, this website is an excelent research resource for german army matters.
  7. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Johan-

Beautiful helmet specimen. From your personal collection?

Keith
  8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    An actual cuirass used during that period will be hard to find. For my "Clash of Steel" Prussian I used a later example for the model.

Same goes for the cartridge box, sabre, and jacket.

I would post a pic of the M1867 helmet but my "browse" button disappeared.....Gordy?! :eek:
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Johan, that's a neat helmet, worthy of my pic folder. Jason. I still have the helmet pics you sent and have the same one you just sent on the back of an older issue of Uniformes. I agree that the uniform changes that occured between the 1870's to 1900 most likely occured in the design of mostlycartridge pouches and other personal gear while the uniforms seemed little changed. I'm just puzzled that there is very little on the German Imperial Army of this time. I've suggested a title (or two) to Osprey at least 3-4 times. I have since found what appear to be great French references on the period (shame I can't read it), but the pictures are a goldmine unto themselves. The search continues.~Gary