Progress on the Mohawk

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well, for me at least, the best news about this post is that I finly have Photoshop back on my machine and I couldn't be happier! Enough about software.....This is the latest little gem on my bench. It's Michael Roberts Mohawk Chieftan bust in 1/9th scale sculpted by the Planet's very own Gary Dombrowski. (How's that plug Gary?) I have to say that this is one beauty of a sculpt. The facial expression is what drew me to this piece. Very regal and befitting a chieftan.

It is my first attempt at any Native American subject matter. As you can see I have the fleshtones basically done (in oils of course, thus the shinny finish), and the head-band has the basic highlight and shadow done. It's hard to get a good feeling for the over all look because of the sheen, but as soon as it is dull-coated it should come together. The left eye on the straight on shot looks a bit funky in the pics, he caught a bit of glare there, but it is nice and straight in person. I will go back and redefine the headband with stronger shadows and high-highlights soon. I am going to try something a bit new for me on this piece as well. I want to make the head roach from actual hair. I think I am going to die some of my Woodland Scenics fall grass red with either food coloring or Rit die. I have never tried this before, but experimentation is half the fun in this hobby! Has anyone else tried this before? Can you share any tips? I haven't decided on tattoos for this guy yet, and I think other than that I will mostly paint as per the box art for the rest of him.

I did add some scratch built earings to him. In some of my research, I of course came across many Robert Griffing paintings and almost all show more "acoutrement" when it comes to Mohawk garb, especially around their heads. They are both done with lead foil, the round part on the right ear is made from Evergreen plastic sheet. I think they add just the right touch of added interest. I'll post more when I get more done. BTW, a big hat's off to Mr. Guy Herrick for being an inspiration and help with this piece. He has a way of making you want to paint Natives if you know what I mean!

Hope you like it. All comments and criticisms welcome!

Jay H.
    OKC

Right 3/4
    [IMG]

Left 3/4
    [IMG]

Back
    [IMG]

Pretty much straight on of the face
    [IMG]
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He's looking fantastic Jay. You have done alot since you had him over here. I look forward to seeing him finished.
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jay, beautiful work so far, looks great, looking forward to seeing more.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, Thank you very much, I'm glad you like the kit. I would like to have done more in terms of adornments. While very small and thin parts can be made, they can be a casting nightmare. I'm one day hoping to make up some patterns to do some photo-etched earrings and other items that are typically seen being worn by Eastern Indians.

The painting is coming along. There is one thing I'd like to point out, The button-like item at the top of either side of the gorget should be painted the same color as the ribbon. It represents a small fabric covered button that the gorget was suspended from. I believe the boxart shows it painted the way you have done it but it's wrong. IF you look at the instructions I believe the coloring information is there. It's something I thought I'd point out. As for real hair for a roach, I picked up some deer hair that was dyed red at a craft store. Check out one in you local area, they may have something close or similiar. Good luck.~Gary
  5. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's a really nicely painted bust Jay. My only critic will be the contrast on your flesh tones. I don't know if it's the photo, but they look flat to me. I would expect some more contrast. Other than that I will wait to see the finished result.

Xenofon
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great painting Jay,

Really like the skintone.
    That earrings are something special to this great bust.

marc
  7. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guy, as always, thanks! We'll be over soon! ;)

Rocco, thank you as well for the kind words!

Gary, some very important info there. The box art shows the small ruffles at the top of the gorget as brass, or at least a contrasting metal. Very good to know they are not. I will be sure to paint them blue to match the ribbon. I will also go to Michaels and see if they have any deer hair. Great idea! Thanks for the advice!

Xenofon, you are rght about the skin tones. I erred on the side of "less is more" with this bust because the sculpt has such broad and subtle features, I thought it would compliment the piece more to go with a bit more subdued contrasts. I often come back with more hilights once dull coated, I may do that yet if I think it needs more. Thanks for the observation!

Marc, thanks for the comments! I had fun with the earings. I hope Gary gets his PE adornments done. They would have been a perfect addition here, and I think a great idea!

Jay H.
    OKC
  8. GARD9 Member

United-States
    Hello Jay,
    If you have a sporting goods store that sells fly tying (fishing lures)
    supplies near by, they are bound to have several types of hair and feathers.
    I really like the extra earrings.
    Keep up the good work.
    G9
  9. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    John,
    thanks for the kind words. We have a Bass Pro shop here in town with a whole room devoted to fly tying! That is an excellent idea. I'll have to go check it out. Thanks,

Jay H.
    OKC