1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Problem with the Hobby

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by MalcC, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I wonder where that new blood will come from in todays, I want it now computer generation. I could go on and talk to myself all day; but what's the sense.

Wayne
    Blind Pew likes this.
  2. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I don't think we need worry, another generation of modeller's always seen to appear.
    And what's more they pick the knack of painting so quickly..... a lot faster than I did.
    It's taken me over 40 years to master painting as badly as I do.:LOL:

Malc
    Blind Pew and Wayneb like this.
  3. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Yeah.............But I'm scared shitless.........:ROFLMAO:

Wayne
    MalcC and Blind Pew like this.
  4. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Well, there's me telling myself I must cut back on buying new models, I'm getting on in life and believe you me, my grey army will take me several years to paint.
    But regardless of that I'm still buying more...... and going to ordering more in the next two weeks.

Think I need to be put in restraints.........or stop looking at this website.
    HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPPP!

Malc :arghh:
    Blind Pew and Nap like this.
  5. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The solution is as elegant as it is simple.

Start painting....
    Landrotten Highlander and Nap like this.
  6. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Now why didn't I think of that. Doh!
    :LOL:

Malc
    Landrotten Highlander, Henk and Nap like this.
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I've come across another problem. I'm so eager to get back into painting following a break which was unplanned , but can't get get anything right.
    Perhaps I'm trying to hard. This is something I'm sure we all experience.
    The sensible thing would be to put it aside, but I already have something else on the go, and put that aside, and don't know whether to start on another piece.
    What a dilemma. :(

:arghh:
    Malc
    stoffy01 and theBaron like this.
  8. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    It's akin to an athletic skill-if you've taken a break for a while, you need some warm-ups to get back to where you were. For me, it's like bicycling. The first 5 miles are warm-up, and then I'm back at my regular level.

Prost!
    Brad
    MalcC, Wayneb and Nap like this.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    At least 5 miles plus on the "Motivation Trail" before warm-up.....At my age it doesn't matter what I'm doing.

Buns up!.........and a Happy New Year.
    Wayne
  10. MalcC A Fixture

England

I recon it'll be at least 25 miles for me,,,luckily I have an excercise bike. A must for us oldies.
    Since my last post, I have managed a little bit of painting and to my surprise it went better then expected.

Malc
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    So there ya go Malc, the excercise bike is working. I have one myself, almost every morning. I just keep saying to myself; I think I can, I think I can, ......If there's any consolation...your avatar still looks better than mine.

Wayne:)
    MalcC likes this.
  12. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I'm glad you like my avatar, it was painted a few years back now, and sadly I doubt if I could paint anything like that now.
    Arthritis in both hands, as well as not being able to keep my hand steady, means my painting isn't what it used to be.
    But I still enjoy it regardless, If I can turn something out half decent, I'm happy.

Malc
    theBaron likes this.
  13. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Well the problem with the hobby is already haunting me, 3 new kits purchased this year already, and more to order when they're available.
    There goes my new years resolution.

Going to ask that nice Mr Sunak to give me a nice big pension rise, so I can afford them.
    If not I'll go on strike, why not almost everyone else is. :D
    Seriously though so many great releases coming out. What can you do?????
    I'm going to have to speed up my painting..... I've got 3 on the bench at the moment. :arghh:

Malc
    Nap, OldTaff and DEL like this.
  14. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    For me the problem is that with the advent of social media and new technologies a bit of the magic has gone from the hobby.
    OK I know that's maybe a bit nostalgic but there was something exciting about going to shows like Euro not knowing what producers had in store for us.
    In terms of range and quality we are undoubtedly in a purple patch and there is certainly a tendency to act like kids in a sweet shop. Well I do anyway.
    When it comes to models I definitely lack discipline and have never had such an array of half finished figures.
    We are now half way through January and I've yet to buy, hoping to hold my resolve until S&L in April.
    D.
  15. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Del,
    I miss Euro too and having a chat with yourself and Brian, and also seeing what the traders had to temp you to part with your cash.
    Unfortunately it a sign of the times, having to rely on media.
    I attend what shows where I can, but sadly only a few traders attend, and hardly any that sell figures.

Malc
    Nap likes this.
  16. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I don't know about you, but choosing what you paint next from your stash can be an issue, do you paint a new release or something you purchased some years ago.
    Recently I've been concentrating on new figures with the odd old one thrown in.
    But now I have a cunning plan.:D
    I'm going to try and be good and paint and equal amount of new and old during the year.
    Whether I succeed in this is another question.
    At present I have an oldy on the go, one that I've had around 10 years being prepped, and a new one in the clean up stage.
    This may be the only way my hoard will get painted.
    My initial plan of not buying anything new, didn't last long.

Malc
    Hawk_Uk, Nap and theBaron like this.
  17. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Ain't that the truth. I've just stripped 3 old figures that I did individually when released and have always fancied redoing them as a vignette.
    Still holding out until S&L where I've got my eye on 4 from
    the same manufacturer.
    D
    Hawk_Uk likes this.
  18. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I like the idea of your latest project, sounds interesting.
    Have fun at Sword & Lance

Malc
    DEL likes this.
  19. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Ron, Its a changing world and a changing hobby. Traditional sculpting is on the decline and 3d sculpting is on the up and will be with us for ever more and grow. Yes there are some not so good 3d artists around (we have had them!) but there are more outstanding ones as well. Most of the digital sculptors we use come from a traditional sculpting background and have adapted and learned the new technology to carry on with their sculpting skills with the aid of their new tools, most of them have seen the writing on the wall in regards to traditional sculpting and also how much more money they can make. Saying that there are still and always will be traditional sculptors around but the their market will always be limited because of only producing a piece in one particular scale for a price. With sculpting a 3d piece it can be produced in any scale you like as well as bust variations etc and all for one price and normally cheaper (in some cases) than a traditional sculpt, so you are getting the choice of your favorite scales of exactly the same figure. Depending on the printing technology, resins used etc depends on the the quality and detail of the final product, also experience in the trade leads to quality at every level although there are several out there trying to produce 3d models that have not quite grasped the concept yet. The sales of products that we seen over the past two years has proven what sells and what people want the most.
    Tommi
    DEL, Richie, MalcC and 2 others like this.
  20. MalcC A Fixture

England
    It certainly is a changing hobby, and one thing is for sure, its getting better and better.
    Although I do hope there will be some pieces are hand sculpted, its such an art that it would be a shame if that skill disappeared.

Malc
    Tommi, DEL and Richie like this.