1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Problem with the Hobby

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by MalcC, Oct 11, 2022.

1. MalcC A Fixture

England
    I've come across a problem with the hobby. :(

Too many nice models to paint, I've already got a sizeable grey army, that I'll never get to paint them all.
    There's so many nice new releases to drool over, and wish for, but sadly as I'm getting on in years, I'm having to be careful and choosey. :cry:

It may be a problem, but this is one hell of a great hobby.

Malc :)
  2. Ronaldo A Fixture

Yea there is a helofa lot to choose from but also a lot of shit too , re the 3d sculpt phenomena I just cant get my head round it . Call me a bit picky but the fine detail as good as it is just looks out of scale,
    and as for the trend in hobby horse busts maybe its time to get back to full figures and get the scale back to a reasonable size IE no more than 90mm plenty of detail to cram in at this size
    Jeff T, Mark S, Wayneb and 3 others like this.
  3. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    I have to agree with you Malc, I have way more figures, and other models to work on without even contemplating the new releases, so I am far more choosey these days than in the past.
    But still far more frequently than I like there comes along a figure that just has to be added to the grey army...
    These days my preference is for 120mm and the occasional 200mm. Easier to see, both to paint and in the cabinet...
    Russ and MalcC like this.
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Definitely more out there than ever…and eyes, hands..everything needed to do them justice is declining..but not much is really new, and many old pieces still resonate. At least with PF one can participate vicariously, admire pieces from afar that maybe don’t suit 100% ..it’s still a great pastime
    Henk, MalcC, Babelfish and 1 other person like this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    It's certainly not the lack of models to paint; for me it's a lack of motivation and drive that I used to have. And if I don't have the drive to continue to do my "best" in whatever I do, I lack the motivation.........I need to go back and read an old book "As a Man thinketh" by James Allen".
    Keep on kick'n your own ass.
    Wayne
    Jeff T, MalcC and Babelfish like this.
  6. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    And there is a place for “good enough” ..it’s part of accepting one’s limits and frailties..but then what does it matter anyway when really it’s no more than innocently passing time, occupying the mind but not too often to stress..and allowing for a mild obsession…always a bit of learning be it research, technique ..and no great downside..
    Henk, MalcC, Babelfish and 2 others like this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Mind is the master power that moulds and makes.......And man is mind, and evermore he takes; the tool of thought, and "shaping what he wills".....
    Brings forth a thousand joys..a thousand ills.........He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass...................Environment is but his looking glass...

Better to be silent, and thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.....

Wayne
  8. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Put down the bong Wayne. Lol.

Steve
    MalcC, Wayneb, housecarl and 2 others like this.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I bet you still have one of these over this :rolleyes:
    december-30-1953-the-first-color-tv-sets-go-on-sale.jpg TV.jpg

Del, I think you need to get round there with the pitch forks...
    he's getting feisty again.

You should buy one of these and have on your placard "Nothing over 90" and "Ban the airbrush"
    Old guy.jpg

I certainly have embraced and welcomed the change in the modeling world like some others
    as I cannot deal with the level of detail on figures like this...and it's super anatomical attributes.
    I mean those hands and helmet spike are resplendant.
    Old figure.jpg
    OK rant over.
    Malc, my resin figures ect are going to the crematorium with me.....it should burn solid for a week and I want all the old people
    and homeless to come round and take advantage of the warmth.
    Tommi, MalcC, Hawk_Uk and 2 others like this.
  10. Ronaldo A Fixture

No but I have one of these 2F36DEAA-B08E-4F7C-858D-F68BC7391561_1_201_a.jpeg
    MalcC and Richie like this.
  11. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Were you listening to The Doors when you typed this, Wayne?:sneaky:
    MalcC and Nap like this.
  12. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In all seriousness, Malc is 100% spot. We must be in Golden Age of modelling. There's so much superior quality out there now. We no longer have to rely on a tiny few companies to produce top stuff.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Malc

Very true words , such great stuff out there ...just look at Figure News

The hobby has such a wide choice of subjects and now with 3D being used the world is our oyster butvI hasten to add the traditional sculpt is still respected and needed

Without the hobby and friends I know and will make , no idea what I'd be like

Happy benchtime

Nap
    MalcC and Blind Pew like this.
  14. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    It’s definitely a golden age..about the only “good old days” thing might be general passing of brick and mortar shops…if only for the nose against the glass wonderment I experienced growing up in 60s..but offset by the global connectedness we enjoy..well, maybe not always enjoy in terms of social media..but generally we can share in ways never dreamt of until a few years ago..this weekend am going to be on a zoom talk bringing NZ speaker to show in US…living in the boonies of western Canada and a bit unable to do long haul flights these days..it’s a huge thing…another thought re golden age-talents are human and poop out, but their work, their books continue..so the lexicon only builds..an example that resonates- Mike Bulters book- it’s going to be up there with Shep, Kirill…and in reading I find a thread from Valentin Bean, My Way straight on to Mike..what’s good about this hobby- look at Mike’s work..(paid political promotion endorsed by…blah blah..ha ha..).
    MalcC likes this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am currently researching ways of cloning myself so that I will be able to paint and finish the approximately 5 lifetimes worth (at my rate of modelling) of figures & plastic kits that are currently contained in my stash.

- Steve
    Henk, MalcC, Blind Pew and 3 others like this.
  16. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    We scoff and chortle now, but at one time that was cutting-edge, last-word stuff! :eek:

- Steve
    theBaron, sd0324 and grasshopper like this.
  17. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    It gave you pleasure then..and now there’s “better”..and so it goes..probably will evolve further..
    Nap likes this.
  18. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The boom in half arsed Patreon STL files has unfortunately had a financial impact on companies that put more time into their releases. Especially with the extremely vocal "3D printer go brrrr" brigade.

That is not to say there aren't excellent quality 3D sculpts out there because there is plenty (more in the fantasy side of things).

But, when you see a traditional sculptor like Lucas Pina getting over 1000 pre-orders in 48 hours you know things are still good.

And yes... I'm trying not to think of my pile of miniatures staring at me, screaming "when will you paint me" while I await another new project.
  19. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    There is definitely a load of money in the industry..very lumpy I bet with some literally made wealthy..in the fantasy realm most than historical
  20. Bundook Active Member

Scotland
    I have a cunning yet foolproof plan to relieve you of this. Send them all to me! ;)
    MalcC and Blind Pew like this.