1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Problem with Scale75 color. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by gerryj199, Dec 28, 2013.

1. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help with a problem I'm having with the Scale75 wood and leather set. I recently purchased several of their sets (NMM, Flesh, Wood & Leather) and have tried a few of their paints and they seem like normal acrylics. However, today I tried the Wood and Leather set for the first time and these seem to be very different in texture.

The 3 examples I have tried seem to have a gel-like texture. When applied they are very translucent and dissolve the acrylic undercoat (an Andrea acrylic). They don't seem to be easy to dilute. I've tried water, acrylic flow improver and Andrea acrylic thinner but none of them work well.

I have shaken them very well as I use a modified jigsaw to shake my paints, so 15 seconds on that mixes any acrylic beautifully.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or what else I could try to get a normal paint consistency?

All suggestions are welcome.
    Many thanks,
    Gerry
  2. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    I have this set but have not tried it yet , but I have had problems with their white primer ,just cant get it to spray though my airbrush . Hopeless !
  3. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Hi Gerry

I've actually been using that set over the last couple of days and I've not experienced any problems. They've dried to a nice flat finish.
    Maybe be worth dropping a line to Scale 75 and ask for their advice.

Malc
  4. montythefirst Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I have experienced this but with there other sets flesh and nmm both worked fine first try for testers then tried to use them for a figure shook them stirred them had the same issue as you have been experiencing not sure why couldn't figure it out gave up in the end
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

I use Scale 75 colours , not had this problem but as with all acrylics a lot of shaking before hand ...perhaps the "gel" is due to them being stored upright ?

Certainly be interested in Scale 75's comments and suggestions

Nap
  6. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi all,
    Here is an update from Scale75:

"We have been told about this issue with some colors, usually brown ones. If is the same problem, when pressed the bottle, the paint looks gooey and doesn't cover properly. Normally it can be solved by strong shaking but sometimes it is necessary to remove the tip and clean the transparent medium there. We think this is your problem If we have understood correctly.

If we are wrong, and this have not helped you, please let us know."

It sounds like this is not a unique issue given their response and some of the subsequent posts to mine.

So, armed with this I took the colors and put them in my shaking machine (it's a modified electric jigsaw which shakes the paint bottle at somewhere above 1,000 strokes per minute). I shook the bottles for about 2.5 minutes instead of the usual 15 seconds.

After this the paint was mixed much better. It still had a slightly more 'gooey' texture than my other acrylics, but it was much closer to what I would expect to be normal consistency. It was easier to dilute and did not impact the undercoats.

So, my recommendation is that if your find your Scale75 paints to be gel-like out of the bottle that you vigorously shake them somewhere between 2,500 to 3,000 times before use. :)

Thanks to all of you who replied to my post, and have a great New Year.
    Regards,
    Gerry
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Gerry

does this mean you'll be producing a bottle shaker.?:LOL:
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

The latest addition to a modellers tools ...the 1 litre shaker;) [IMG]

To Shake or not to shake that is the answer

Happy painting

Nap
    MalcC likes this.
  9. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I confess that I did not invent my paint shaker. I had inspiration from others...

Mine comprises an Irwin Quick Grip clamp welded into the jigsaw permanently. It shakes pretty much all sizes of model paint.
    It's also much faster than I am at 3,000 shakes. ;)
    Gerry
  10. Nice shaker! Good tip re the paints as well.
  11. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    Hi mates! The best way to avoid this kind of problems, with Scale color or any other brand (It happens with a lot of colors) is to store your colors face down. And just need a little shake before use them. I use to do it in that way and works really good.

best regards
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Alex ,

Good suggestion I presume you mean upside down ..well I am a bit thick!!!!

Nap
  13. Iguazzu A Fixture

Spain
    Hi Nap! Yes, you're right! Sorry for my bad english... there're too much expresions that I didn't know :whistle:
    John Bowery likes this.
  14. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Great tip,
    John