1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique "Pro Valore" - Lt. Alex Dunn VC 1854

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Mar 15, 2015.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the kind words. The actual figure is far less chromatic than these photos show. The blue is quite dark to the eye. For some reason my DSLR insists on adding a lot of vibrancy. I have played with exposure comp and white bal but no luck. Don't get me wrong....I like the pix. But they don't really portray how the actual piece looks very well. Same thing happens when I photograph an old oil painting I have. To the eye it's doomy gloomy but in photos it positively shines.

Colin
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Couldn't have put it any better.
    Awesome work.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    crf likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Is your new avatar a hint at your next project?
    crf likes this.
  4. Ray Welshman Active Member

Great job all around Colin.

Looking forward to seeing it up close some day

Cheers

Ray
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents.

Colin - Boney is one of four options. I am thinking about trying to do a bust portrait of Violette Szabo SOE (see the film "Carve Her Name With Pride"), Bonaparte, Noel Chavasse (WWI double VC), or Colonel Vautre of the 9me Ligne at the Great Redoubt at Borodino (whose signature I have). I will likely do them all at some point but I need to get inspired to take the next one on. Time to hit the books. In any case, the next piece will be a change after the intricate and visually appealing uniform on Dunn.

Colin
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    An awesome sculpt and paint work, bravo. Excellent.

Bob
    crf likes this.
  7. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'd buy it if it was commercial Colin. Re new project please consider all three double VC winners. I have a bust of Chavasse but I have never seen one of the others. With Martin-Leake you have an option of Boer War or WW1 while with Upham just WW2. Of Course Chavasse also wears a glengarry.
    MCPWilk and crf like this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I read that the double winners are related. One by marriage to Chavasse and the other served in the hospital where he was treated in '17.

Colin
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This photo taken with a point and shoot camera with macro is far more reflective of how he actually looks (although they are a little dark). I have no idea why DSLR is causing me challenges.

P1010023.JPG
    Wings5797, NickM, Eludia and 2 others like this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    That blue definitely looks closer to the blue of the uniform and the blue you had going at the last meeting.

Again, awesome work here my friend

Colin
    crf likes this.
  11. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Excellent!!

Xenofon
    crf likes this.
  12. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Outstanding sculpting and painting.

Mike
    crf likes this.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    I have been watching this one from the side lines and yet again it is a unique impressive piece of work both sculpting and painting.
    cheers
    Richie
    crf likes this.
  14. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Impressive!
    crf likes this.
  15. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    I agree with some of the others, Colin, that this is your best yet.
    Beautifully sculpted, painted and photographed! (y)
    crf likes this.
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. I finally got some photos I am happy with and which actually replicate the way he looks to the eye. Sorry to keep reposting but I think its important to show him as he is after all that work. :)

Colin

P1010076.jpg

P1010045.jpg P1010047.jpg P1010054.jpg

P1010059.jpg P1010064.jpg P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg P1010069.jpg P1010073.jpg

P1010075.jpg P1010077.jpg
    red tom, NickM, Ray Welshman and 2 others like this.
  17. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I'm glad you have re-posted these, the figure is even better. The gold braid really stands out as quality, I can't say it any better than, stunning.

:)(y)(y)

Regards
    Bob

Ps, I think you mis-spelt 'wilkinson' on the sword. :)
    crf likes this.
  18. chris1 Active Member

Hi Colin,
    Outstanding.
    For your next project if it's a VC Winner I'd vote for Charles Upham VC and bar, or more recently Willie Apiata VC NZSAS. However if you were to consider a non military option,what about Neil Armstrong.

Chris
    crf likes this.
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    A bit late getting to see this one completed, no internet on my spring/ summer voyages.
    This is a real beautiful sculpt with the high sword position working well to add some dynamic to the piece.
    I know what you mean about the DSLR's making the Navy Blues look so light. I have tried a couple of filters but no real success.
    Hats off to you Colin, as I said before your detail here is of the first order and comes up well in your pictures.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  20. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I still wish you had been able to cut a commercial deal on this.................

Mike